Thread: Harmonic Balancer removal and installation

arveetek Guest

Cool

During my turbo install, I replaced the harmonic balancer. It was showing signs of squished out rubber, with pieces of the rubber missing in places. This is a very bad thing for the 6.2L. I purchased a new balancer, part # 14022671, from the local Chevy dealer for $99. That was cheaper than gmpartsdirect.com, with the shipping.

It's not that hard to do: I removed the fan shroud, fan and clutch, loosened and removed all the drive belts, removed the pulley off of the balancer, removed the crankshaft bolt, and pulled off the balancer using a balancer/steering wheel remover.

I then installed a new oil seal, an important step not to be overlooked!

I then oiled up the crankshaft, and the inside of the damper, to help aid in installation.

I made an installation tool out of a spare crankshaft bolt, and a 6" piece of 1/2" all-thread. I welded the all-thread to the head of the crankshaft bolt, threaded the tool onto the crankshaft, started the damper on by hand being sure to align the key, and then slipped on the large washer, and 1/2" washer, and then the 1/2" nut. I tightened the 1/2" nut down, and that pulled the damper into place quite easily. Once I ran out of threads, I removed the tool, and reinstalled the original crankshaft bolt. Be sure to torque it to proper specs.

I then reinstalled the pulley, belts, fan and clutch, and fan shroud. Piece of cake!

Here's a pic of the old and new balancers:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...65041214iOcnhq

Here's a pic of the installation tool I made:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...65041305rcUkmf

Casey

moondoggie Guest

Good Day!

Thanks for making this a topic. Later when we need it we can use the search feature to find this great info.

From the looks of the pic of you harmonic balancer, you were about 4 revolutions away from its destruction or worse

arveetek Guest

[quote]Originally posted by moondoggie:
    [b] Good Day!

Thanks for making this a topic. Later when we need it we can use the search feature to find this great info.

From the looks of the pic of you harmonic balancer, you were about 4 revolutions away from its destruction or worse