Thread: 6.2 or 6.5 injector ?

Question

About 6 months ago I had 6.5 injectors installed in my 1984 sub. It has a factory 6.2 liter engine.
    Last week one began to leak. The mechanic changed it out with no issues.
    Would he know by looking at the bad injector that he had to reinstall a 6.5 unit?

I'm asking because on the work manifest, he had written down that he replaced the injector with a 6.2 unit.
    When I asked him he said he used a 6.5 injector and was only noteing my engine size.
    The injector looks like all the rest but I don't really know what I'm looking for to determine if it's a 6.2 or 6.5.
    If he installed a 6.2 unit would it be a problem?

Thanks, Paul
    04 GMC Sierra, 4x4
    94 suburban, 4x4
    84 suburban, 6.2 with Banks. Turbo 400 w/4.10's. Ex-Fire truck.
    83 Volvo 760 turbo diesel. Yea it's ugly, but it gets 40 mpg on the highway...

john8662 Guest

Hopefully your mechanic got it right.

The good news is that you can likely see the difference. The original 6.2 injectors that came in your engine were the long body fine thread variety. These injectors when set side-by-side are visually different in length. The 6.5 TD injectors are the short body injectors.

So, if you suspect that the mechanic installed the wrong injector go for a visual inspection, you will see that the injector replaced is longer if he put in a standard 6.2 injector.

Now, this doesn't completly narrow out a 6.2 injector being installed, there were short body 6.2 injectors produced from 88-92 that look just like a 6.5 injector.

Now for the question of will it hurt anything. It won't hurt anything but the engine might run slighly uneven due to the different pop pressure associated with that one cylinder.

I will take a look and let you know.
    Thanks
    04 GMC Sierra, 4x4
    94 suburban, 4x4
    84 suburban, 6.2 with Banks. Turbo 400 w/4.10's. Ex-Fire truck.
    83 Volvo 760 turbo diesel. Yea it's ugly, but it gets 40 mpg on the highway...