Thread: alternator overcharging?

During a trip over the weekend ,I noticed my voltmeter reading toward 18v during high rpm
    driving.When rpm drops ,so does voltage reading.
    In the driveway at idle the voltmeter on my multitester reads 14.5. Is my voltage regulator failing?Any ideas for me?thanks

britannic Guest

What does your multitester read at 1500-2000rpm? If it's above 14.5-14.75v, you need to get that alternator repaired.

I'll have to check the multitester tomorrow for voltage at high rpm.

After testing the voltage at high rpms in the driveway I was not able to duplicate what I saw during the trip.It was reading 14.7.It seems like it only happens during a long hot run at highway speed.Not just after a ride to the store.Could it be that the regulator fails only when it is real hot?

Originally posted by JG62:
    After testing the voltage at high rpms in the driveway I was not able to duplicate what I saw during the trip.It was reading 14.7.It seems like it only happens during a long hot run at highway speed.Not just after a ride to the store.Could it be that the regulator fails only when it is real hot?
    I had that happen. AFter the thing got hot it would start putting out 20+ volts and 60+ amps.
    I was out in the woods at the time, so I wired up a toggle to the sense wire and the voltage gauge to my batteries. I have electric cooling fans so electricity is REAL important to me. Anyway I would watch the batery voltage. Turn on the Alt at 11v and turn off at 13v. Only had to drive maybe 3 hours like this, but it worked.
    I now carry a spare voltage regulator as part of my spares kit.
    6.2 NA, SM465, Dana 18, Saturn OD, Dana 60's all crammed into a 1970 Series IIa 88" Land Rover
    1998 K2500 Burb, relocated PSD, upgraded injectors, cold air intake.
    http://www.aloharovers.com

The voltage meter on my 82 was reading high. I found the battery cable on the starter loose. It worked as it should after tightening.
    1982 GMC 2500, 1992 Avant 6.2 N/A