Thread: newbie questions

I bought a '82 k-10 w/6.2, 3 spd OD tranny and I don't know what the gear ratio is on the axles. I got this truck about a year ago and use it to pull my 5th wheel. I determined that it is a C or light duty since it has the EGR valve. I bought a '85 intake for a heavy duty. There are only a few differences I can see between the manifolds. I have a couple of questions about changing the intake.

1. Has anybody kept the 2 fuel filter set up and where did you mount the secondary filter since there isn't a mount on the back of the newer intake?

2. Does it matter which gaskets I use (HD or LD) since the EGR ports on the heads will be blocked by the intake?

any pointers on making this an easy trade off?

Also I saw on another thread somebody mentioned the 599 engine and the 600 engine. What is the difference between the two?

Thanks for the info. I am sure I will post a lot more questions as I go about pumping this truck up.

Jim
    \'82 1/2t 4x4 6.2L, I finally got the new J code manifold put on, NP833a tranny (3spdOD), 3.08 diffs

john8662 Guest

Jim,

Welcome to the page! To start off, I love to swap intakes from the C series to the J series intake. You're correct in noticing that the fuel filter mount on the back on the intake is indeed different. You need a J series intake for an engine that has the horizontally threaded holes on it for the secondary fuel filter setup. Some members on this board have elected to replace the fuel filter system with an aftermarket Racor system. I think the best thing to do would be to find an 82-83 model J series intake, that will make the swap straight forward. For your intake manifold gaskets you can use either type. Use either the type with the port blocked (preferred method) or the ones without the block off. What ever way you go, the intake is going to block the passage of Exhaust gasses. For the intake gaskets with the block off plates in them, specify the HD version of the 6.2, instead of Light Duty.

For the block question, there were several block designs, but only two for the 6.2L. Most 82-91 model 6.2's had the 660 casting number for the last three digits of the number. Some 92-93 Model 6.2L block have the 599 casting and are the same block used in the early 6.5 engines, but not bored as much, but these are the ONLY blocks that can be bored out to 6.5.

Thanks John for the quick reply. I already bought the 85 intake, it was off a CUCV. I found it on e-bay for $25 plus shipping. I jumped on it so I wouldn't lose it. I'm going to talk to my mechanic and see how hard it would be to make an adaptor so I can mount the secondary fuel filter on the fire wall right next to the primary filter. I like the idea of the 2 filter set-up and I hate having already spent the money for the intake going looking for another one. I'll know better next time to ask questions first before I buy. I reckon I can always upgrade to an aftermarket fuel filter set-up in the future.

Jim
    \'82 1/2t 4x4 6.2L, I finally got the new J code manifold put on, NP833a tranny (3spdOD), 3.08 diffs

If I were you I would toss the factory fuel filter and mount a larger and more efficient filter elsewhere under the hood. I have a set of detroit diesel filters on my Hummer replica that has a 6.2 in it. The factory filters were nothing to brag about and diesels love clean fuel. Get a filter that has a water drain in it that you can dump every so often.Water is theeeeeeeeee wooooooorrrrrst enemy of your little oil burner. Keep the fuel reeeeeeeeeeeal clean and it will stay healthy and happy a lot longer.
    No real rules here except to make it fit and keep the fittings tight.
    Good luck with your project
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

smcghan Guest

James68352,
    Howdy you say you pull a 5th wheel w/ your p/u?
    How big/heavy is it? I ask because I have the same p/u as you. When my dad had the p/u they pulled a 32' camp trailer and had to start out in low range. I have 3.08's in mine. 1st gear is so tall I get clutch chatter (or slip the clutch). I love the truck just can't wait til I put 4.10's in so it'll drive more like a 4 speed.
    Of course then I won't have to down shift so much on the hill's. Any way you p/u could have 3.08, 3.42 or 3.73 there may still be a tag on one of the diff's that will have the gear ratio on it.
    Steven

hello SMCGHAN,

The 5th wheel I pull is a 1979 27' jayco jaycrane. I never have scaled it so I don't know just what the weight is. I would guess around 6000lbs. I do have some trouble once in a while, the worst is going uphill especially if there is any wind I downshift. I only pull in 3rd because OD is so high it would lug the engine too hard. The real problem I have the most with the tranny and gear ratios is in reverse. Reverse is so high that I slip the clutch all the time even when empty. When backing the 5th wheel I will put the transfer case in 4low to better handle it. When empty running down the highway, I don't hit OD until at least 60-65 and even then it almost lets the engine drop to idle (at least by sound, I don't have a tach yet). In town I barely get out of 1st. I will definitely be changing the diffs gear ratio after I do the intake. Then I might consider finding a different tranny, I really like the thought of a 5 spd, granny 1st and OD 5th.

Jim