Thread: Corrosion at battery terminal

On our company 97 Chavy van with 6.5l engine, the positive battery cable end at the auxiliary battery mounted on the frame rail under the van always corrodes badly. The negative cable end does not corrode. It is not the battery since the corrosion persisted after the battery was replaced. I use dielectric grease on the terminals and the corrosion still takes place. Two questions. What can I do to minimize the corrosion and why is the corrosion confined to the positive terminal. The positive terminal is towards the front of the van, maybe it gets subjected to more splash.

Some GM cables seem to have to long of a bolt on the cable which bottoms out in the hole and causes a leak. I have had this happen more than once. On one the acid ran down the cable to the starter and coroided the connection. The best cure I know is to use a bolt nut. Use a bolt with threadslong enough to finger tighten through the cable into the battery then tighten the nut.

When cleaning the corrosion, in addition to brushing it off, also pour a solution of baking soda and water. Might help delay future corrosion - the baking soda neutralizes the acid. (And it foams up REALLY COOL when it hits the corrosion!)
    \'95 \'Burb 2500 4WD, 3\" exhaust, Eagle Alloys, Heath Balance Flow and 21\" 9 blade fan plus driver cooling mods, Heath PMD Isolater, plus ISSPRO Pyro and boost gauges waiting to be installed - 199K miles and counting - Towing Moosenstein - the locked and loaded trail Jeepster Commando.