Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WARNING!! Fumoto valve opened!!!

Unhappy

My Fumoto valve opened part way. I think it snagged on some brush. I was in line at a dump station with the motor running when a couple of guys walked up and told me that I was leaking oil. I shut it off and looked underneath and saw the valve part way open! I closed it and checked the oil, it wasn't showing on the dipstick. I went into the gas station and got a gallon. It took a little over a quart. WHEW!!
    I have used the valves for years on several vehicles without this happening.
    I remember a while back a lot of discussion here about this possibilty. At the time I wasn't concerned about it.
    Someone had capped the nipple on the valve somehow, as a precaution. They even had pictures posted. I can't seem to find these posts anywhere.
    Can anyone help with info on what the fix was? What size cap, etc. TIA

Talking

Just put a small nylon tiewrap on the valve so tha t the handle cannot move out of the detent postion. Then when you want to open the valve just snip off the tie. I don't see anyway to have the valve open then unless something also breaks the tie and pulls open the valve lever.
    2002 2500HD 4x4 Ext Cab Sht Box Duramax
    DTA Boards
    Linex w/Retrax Cover
    Mag Hytek Diff Cover
    Lucerix Mirrors
    Husky Flaps
    JPCustoms Homelink
    Hijacker Double Pivot 5th Wheel Slider Hitch
    2001 Komfort 27FSG w/Slide

JLee Guest

The post is over in the 2500/3500 Truck & Drivetrain area. The date was around 2-8-02.
    http//forum.62-65-dieselpage.com/cgi.bin/ultimatebb/cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=7&t=002661&p=

The pic doesn't come up anymore, but you might e:mail the poster for a copy. I have a hardcopy somewhere I could FAX to you next week if you like. I might have the pic file at work?

jimandkarla@hotmail.com

Jim

NutNbutGMC Guest

^...I say it's your own fault... You shouldn't allow those d@mn hunting dogs to sniff around up under your truck, looking for a racoon or a rabbit.

Great story line though.

[ 04-26-2002: Message edited by: NutNbutGMC ]</p>

I put a small hose-clamp on mine. Put it over the barrel of the valve (not the nipple) and push it right up against the lever so the lever can't be lifted up to clear the detent that keeps it from rotating. It's easy to remove when you change your oil.
    2001 Sierra 3500 SLE Ex.Cab 4WD Duramax/Allison<br />2002 Bigfoot 25C10.6 Camper<br />Torklift tie-downs, Superhitch, Air Lift Super Duty airbags<br />--------------------------------<br />Malibu Skier tournament ski boat<br />--------------------------------<br />1968 GTO 400HO, 4-speed (currently being restored)

Smile

JLee, Thanks, thats the info I was looking for.
    hjd3021,I thought about a zip tie, but I wanted something a little more reliable. I've had several zip ties fail in other applications.(might be an arizona heat thing. plastic doesn't last here.)
    NutNbutGMC,That dog better not be looking for a coon or rabbit, as it's a bird dog!
    slapshot44, That's a good idea. I might just do both as I'm a little paranoid right now!!
    Everyone Thank you for your ideas!!
    Much appreciated!!

[ 04-26-2002: Message edited by: huntindog ]</p>

NutNbutGMC Guest

^...LMAO.... ROTFLMFAO......

I'm not sure where the original post is, but as I recall the nipple was threaded and a pipe cap was then screwed onto the nipple.

huntindog

The zip tie works for me. Didn't have any problems here all summer, and the summer temps here are about the same as what you live in. I understand what you mean about heat and plastic, but if you change your oil regularly, it shouldn't be a problem. I thought about tapping the nipple and screwing in a plug, and may some day, but for now, the zip tie works.

There must be something wrong with my birddogs (Labs). They'd rather chase rabbits. Coons around here are too big, so no problems there (learned their lesson the hard way).
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

The previous post said he used a 1/8 NPT die to thread the Fumoto valve hose extention. No prior machining required. He then installed a 1/8 inch pipe nipple. Sounded simple.
    2002; GMC; 2500HD; D/A; extended cab; long box; 4 WD; Summit White; cloth buckets; ONKI running boards, Sierra mud flaps, A.R.E. Z-Series topper, Bed Rug, Fumoto Oil Drain Valve, and McKesh towing mirrors.

NutNbutGMC Guest

I have the thread link on my other idiot box, located in another state. Be back there tomorrow.

Question

Huntindog - do you have a skidplate on your truck?
    2007 Chev. Silverado 3500 CC D/A 4WD LT Summit White/Charcoal Leather *J&J Running Boards *Cloud Rider SS Stone-Guards *Husky Front & Rear Floor Mats *Ventshade ventvisor deflectors *OEM Bug deflector *Putco door sill protectors *Custom Flow Elite louvered tailgate *Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller *Line-X box liner *Hijacker hitch
    2002 Citation 32.5TKS triple slide fiver
    Honda EU3000 generator

Calgary, I have the factory skid plates.
    Cheers!

Huntindog,

I posted the pics for the modified valve on my new picturetrail account (my web page is presently busted )

I used a standard 1/8" NPT threader and a 1/8" NPT cap (from the local hardware store). I've been in LOTS of ugly places recently (the trucks a MESS to prove it) and the valve has been SOLID.

This link should answer all your questions;
    http://forum.62-65-dieselpage.com/ub...c&f=7&t=002661

Hope this helps you out!

[ 04-28-2002: Message edited by: Bmacs ]</p>
    Bill
    2002 Silverado 2500HD LS DMAX/ZF, CC LB 4x4 Charcoal Grey, Line-X Liner, Back Country Nerf Bars, Century High C, Dual Alts, High Idle Mod with Trilogix CS-423 Remote Starter, Garmin GPS 15H with Skymaster Antenna, Rear Obstacle Sensing System, Autometer EGT/Boost Guages on Pillar, 600W Power Inverter, Unity 6" spotlight, Fumoto Valve with Threaded Cap, Warn Winch on multi-mount with front + rear receiver, And for you HAMS - HF/6M/2M/220/440/GMRS/1200MHz + Scanner with all the antennas to show for it!

The ty-raps you buy at Home Depot and places like that are all plastic. If you go to an electrical supply house and get T&B ty-raps they have a metal insert that is the latch. They will not pull apart.
    Black 2500HD LS Ext Cab Long Box D/A with all the options.

Bmacs, and everyone else. The nipple has been threaded and the cap installed. IT cost 6.00 including the die. It was very easy to do even on the truck. I'm very happy with the finished job. Thanks to everyone for your responses!
    Cheers!

[ 04-28-2002: Message edited by: huntindog ]</p>

NutNbutGMC Guest

^... Even so, keep that dang dog out from under your truck.

I still say, the bit about brush was a good story, but I know in my heart it was the dog snooping around. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I now have to keep my wrenches locked up. I just caught my dog with a 9/16" in her mouth..... headed for my truck!!!

NutNbutGMC Guest

^......Told ya' so...

I added an Ideal screw-type hose clamp to my valve. I fits perfectly and should stay tight. It probably wouldn't hurt to put a little duct tape on the valve to give the clamp something to bite into.

John