Thread: random ABS light

What should I check? Is there something that normally gives away first?
    I'm getting random ABS light, when the light is on the brakes only work the old fashioned way...

Thanks.

Anyone?

Can't be so bad problem that no one knows?!?

could be wheel sensor not properly in place,
    I had the same problem in my Suburban.

I just took my wifes '03 malibu in for the same thing and it was a wheel speed sensor, looks like a good place to start. A code reader or diagnostic check will tell you for sure before throw alot of time and money into it.

From Truck Trend Magazine November/December 2003 on a 99 GMC Envoy that had ABS light coming on and off and did not throw a code:

"Several older GM trucks have experienced low speed ABS operation under normal driving conditions. The cause is corrosion buildup at the front wheel speed sensor mounting surfaces. The buildup increases the air gap between the sensor and hub reluctor ring, which triggers the sensor with changing wheel speeds. The increased gap causes incorrrect readings to be sent to the Electronic Brake Control Module, and the system reacts accordingly, by varying hydraulic pressure to the wheel in question. The correction involves testing the voltage output from each sensor, removing the sensors, and cleaning the sensor mounting surface at each hub. This will decrease the air gap, and bring the readings back within correct voltage parameters. The sensors may need to be replaced if excessively distorted. This condition WILL NOT set off a diagnostic trouble code.

This may not be your solution, but if nothing else pans out, you may try this fix.
    TxDoc's Photos
    Member #5547