Thread: Sounds to good to be True???

Question

I've listed my Diesel Tahoe for sale both here and traderonline. I got a call this afternoon from a used car dealer in Germany who wants to buy my truck. Here's the deal... I email him a bank account and routing number, after the money is wired direct from his bank into mine, I'll be contacted by a car transport company that will pick up my tahoe and take it to toronto canada to be shipped... I've spoken with a buddy (a VP at a local bank) as he says that if I used my savings account info I should be pretty safe. Money can only leave a savings account with a person to sign for it at the bank; at least this is what I've been told (not that there is much in there anyway). I've read up on a few overseas car buying scams, but most involve cashiers checks and money orders not direct wire transfers. I've read alot of guys say to go with my gut and I'm not completely sold on the deal. Maybe he's not after the money so much as ID theft!!! Anyone have any thoughts? THis guy did email me his banking info, but I'm not sure how to verfiy an account and routing number of a bank in Germany? Maybe I should let this offer go?
    Real Trucks don\'t need spark plugs!

Something is fishy!!!! Your bank could call his bank or email someone there to verify his account and if the account has an amount large enough to cover sale price. If he's legit, he will authorize them to talk with your bank. ALSO, if legit, he'll have NO trouble letting both or your banks respectively take care of the transaction so everything is verified between them. It makes the transaction safer for both of you. If he's not interested in that safety, that might tell you something. You can also ask him who he is going to use as transport. Unless he's not very organized and couldn't careless about the cost (highly unlikely) he'd have made at least tentative arrangements and wouldn't mind telling you so you could make contact with them to verify he's contacted them etc, and see what's going to be expected of you. Just an idea to check things out.

[ 02-07-2004, 07:59 PM: Message edited by: EscaladeDiesel ]
    1998 K2500 Escalade/Suburban 6.5 TD<br />1997 K3500 Ext.Cab Dually 6.5 TD<br />1983 K2500 Suburban 6.2<br />1983 K1500 Suburban 6.2<br />1983 C1500 Suburban 6.2

Not neccessarily fishy. Looking truck market from this European side of Atlantic, there is a constant shortage of well kept trucks, typically older than -98. The reason for this age thing is american-european disagreement of compliance to regulations. As a result, basically you cannot import a truck newer than -97 to Europe because you can't get it registered in Europe, because of lack of certificates proofing security of safety belts, brakes, emissions, etc. These don't apply to cars/trucks (typically) in Canada where the vehicle may/may not be manufactured for export.
    I bought my truck from an Austrian guy who imported it from Canada.

So maybe ths German guy wants to transfer your truck to Canada because of this, don't know. But as previously mentioned, be careful and do some checking. And then there are always money orders and special companies doing these things for you.

So even if it smells bad, it ain't neccessary fish.

Best wishes
    jari
    K1500 Suburban -97, 140000kms, FSD changed Jan -03

Nothing to do with the original subject but Jari
    email me: juhis@juhapekka.com since it seems that we live in the same country and both have the same trucks('97 suburban 1500)

You probably don't have a scam.I've shipped several vehicles to Germany.The best thing
    to do is not let it be avalable to pick up
    the vehicle for ten days so the check has
    time to clear.If he deals over here regular
    it will clear same day.Your bank can tell you
    for sure how it works.

Have a good day.
    2005 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax CC SB 30,000 miles.
    1994 GMC 2500 Suburban 6.5 TD 210,000 miles.
    1983 Mercedes 300 D Turbo Diesel 150,000 miles.
    1991 Holiday Rambler Aluma Lite XL 30 foot.

autocrosser Guest

I you want to do the deal open a new account just for the transaction. They can wire money to it in a guaranteed manner. Make sure the transaction has cleared and collect the money before letting a shipping agent pick it up.

I recently sold a tractor. Had it advertised on several "Free Ad" sites for farm equipment. I got a couple of offers from the scam folks. It's a pretty popular game on the internet. I told them my terms for completing a secure transaction and that was the last I heard of them. I finally sold it to thru the ads to someone in the next county.

There also is paperwork that has to be completed to export/import vehicles.

MikeC Guest

TrboDzl Tahoe,

Gahanna huh, I live in Carroll (Lancaster way) and work 1 1/2 jobs in Columbus. email me at mcooper at uaoh dot net

Mike

My point was, as the POST was WRITTEN, the deal and instructions sounded "fishy" because if he IS an automobile dealer, then he would know the best and most secure way to do the transaction, and it appears the way he is doing things thus far, are anything but the best and most secured way for either of them. He might be more legit than anyone, but more care needs to be taken to insure the selling party is safe, that was my ONLY point.
    1998 K2500 Escalade/Suburban 6.5 TD<br />1997 K3500 Ext.Cab Dually 6.5 TD<br />1983 K2500 Suburban 6.2<br />1983 K1500 Suburban 6.2<br />1983 C1500 Suburban 6.2

You are quite right. I think it is of utmost importance that such big deals as selling and buying a car can and will be conducted with confidence. My point was only to shed some light on plausible reasons why this German guy would want to ship the truck to Canada first. Sorry, no intentions of anything else.

Jari
    K1500 Suburban -97, 140000kms, FSD changed Jan -03

Thumbs up

Thank you all for your input. This would definitely be a first for me. I'll have my bank verfiy his account and routing info in the morning. I asked about the transport company and he emailed me a name, address, phone/fax, and a contact person. I called but they aren't open on Sundays... I did however get the company's answer machine and left a message. The last thing I was worried about was the shipping cost, but also in his email he said that he covers any and all transport charges. I'll just have to make arraignments to meet the truck driver somewhere near my house to load up the truck. So far so good. I'll keep everyone updated with my progress.

You don't need to do any thing to ship it to Germany.You have the right instructions to call and meet the transport.You can set the time and date to make sure you have your cash.
    Canada is probably where he does business.they
    will ship to him and collect their money before
    he get the goods.
    The other side of story diesel is cheaper in Germany ahd diesal vehicles get a real good tax break.So diesel vehicles bring a much better price.The GM's are good sellers.

Have a good day!!

Well so far so good! After I received a fax from a german bank regarding a direct wire transfer, I received the cash in my account 3 days later. The buyer made plans with a transport company to pick up the truck and I meet the car hauler tonight to get it. I've got the money, and he's got the truck "in the mail". It was a pretty easy transaction. Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I wonder how long it takes to get from Ohio to Germany???

MikeC Guest

Driving or flying? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

The vehicle will get to Germany in three or four weeks.They usually hold them at port till get a load.then ship.
    If you keep in contact with him you may make a little change sending vehicles.Really not a bad deal.
    I've been retired seven years and only sent a few
    the last few years.Made 15 trips to Germany and so
    can tell you first hand it works.

The vehicle will get to Germany in three or four weeks.They usually hold them at port till get a load.then ship.
    If you keep in contact with him you may make a little change sending vehicles.Really not a bad deal.
    I've been retired seven years and only sent a few
    the last few years.Made 15 trips to Germany and so
    can tell you first hand it works.
    Have a good day.

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!!

Thumbs up

Sounds like a scam to me.I also post a LOT of posts on two VW aircooler forums.And these SAME offers come in all the time.If you would like to read some of the scams got to "thesamba.com"And look in the forum section under scams...If you really want to see if its real...Go open another savings acct at another bank that is not connected in anyway to your main bank....May cost you like 50$ to open it.The have the guy wire it into THAT acct,and tell him you will not ship untill the money is completly cleared..If he is legit he shouldnt have a issue.If he doesnt want to wait untill the money clears,,,get out youyr fishing pole because something is fishy...I sold a VW bug recently and had almost 23 offers from scammers in different countries.As sson as i replied asking for some bank verification.bank name,numnber and who can verify the buyer,they would never respond......BE CAEFULL....