Thread: duramax not wanting to start

I have a 2002 duramax that has 116,000 miles on it. I have had the injectors replaced twice under the 100,000 mile mark. I have kept it plugged in at night, changed the fuel filter every 10,000 miles and put power service antigel in the tank with fill up. Now it doesn't want to start right away. It will start after 20 minutes to an hour. I ran it for an hour, shut it down and it wouldn't start back up. I think it may have something to do with the fuel pickup. Any suggestions or help would be wonderful. Thanks Jeff

jjackson Guest

Have you tried using the manual primer on top of the fuel filter housing..?

John

Watch the security light when this happens. It is possible that the passlock security system is giving you trouble.

Do you have a remote start?
    2003 GMC 2500HD SB CC SLT D/A

Elevator man, How far is Howell from Grand Rapids? I see your past the warranty peroid so I will be able to save you some money.. Email me if you wanna hook up, email addy is in my sig
    Eric
    2003 GMC Sierra 2500 HD CC Shorty
    Dyno Proven - 800 rwhp on fuel only.
    Trans to hold it and a big ol S400 turbo feeding it.

Cool

Well I got word today about mytruck not starting. It is the injectors and GM is paying the whole bill even though it is out of warranty. So if your having hard starts and losing prime maybe the injectors. This will be the third time. Going to sell it.

Elevatorman, would you please give us the full story with respect to your problem and the dealer solution.
    John - 2002 GMC 2500 SLE D/A CC LB 2WD, linex, 16K Husky, Timbrens, Jordon, 2003 Golden Falcon 29RLDS

Elevatorman.... Please elaborate!!! What year is your truck?

To answer some of the questions out there. My truck is a 2002 Gmc 2500HD 6.6 Diesel. Bought brand new in december 2001. The first problem was at 75,000 had blow buy in the injectors. Replaced 6 of 8. 99,700 miles I was having a hard time starting it.It would turn over real strong but not start. They diagnoised it and said they needed to replace the injectors again. 6 more injectors. For some reason only 6 at a time have gone bad. Now we are in the cold season, one morning not start. I figured I had water in fuel so I replaced the filter and about an hour later it fired up. I have been having problems with it not wanting to start. Turns over really strong and would fire after about 30 seconds. seemed to be getting longer as time went on. On wednesday it took an hour to start. Took it to dealership, superior in Brighton, Mi and they said the injectors are bad again. Gmc is replacing all 8 and not costing me a dime even thought it is out of warranty.