Thread: Injector Balance Rate Specs

20050824|7|006327|000000|216.230.93.198 Guest

Angry

I have a 2003 D-Max with what I believe is an injector issue. The truck has a butt load of power when I first got her and over the summer I noticed my mileage droping from constant 18-19mpg to 12 (600+mp/tank to 350-385), mind you the truck has a 35 gal tank. I puff smoke every know and then as well when I get on it. I have brought the truck to the dealer several times stating I feel something is wrong with it. They tell me everytime nothing is wrong. The last time I threw enough of a stink to see the injector balance rates. What are the specs that are acceptable? At idle I noticed cylinder #3 1.1-1.4 for rates. I am no diesel expert but look if I wanted to spend an extra 5000 dollars for a diesel that gets no better then a 6.0l or 8.1L gas motor I'd saved my self some money. The truck is completely stock except for 285 wheels. Yes I know the size increase will affect the speedo reading somewhat but not that drastic. Any ideas out there?

The dealer I am using I am also fed up with. I bought my truck from them and it has had all of its service work done there. They are slightly ****ed at me because I gave them a zero on a survey. The Service Manager thinks I should kiss his arse even though, they left my drain plug on the crankcase loose after an oil change, scratched the heck out of my truck during a wash, never informed me I needed an air filter change even though they DID all the oil changes, didn't fix my rear diff from making a popping noise when backing up and applying the brakes, they created a new problem in where my drive line felt like someone smacked you when taking off, I told them to lube the slip yoke after 3 visits they finally did and replaced a damaged seal and low and behold problem fixed, got goop all over my visors when resealing the windshield, and a few other odds an ends. What amazed me was this comment: If your gonna give us a zero on the report we dont want to do business with you. If you gotta a problem slam the truck not the dealership. I about flipped and asked him who the heck fixes the truck? It didnt fix itself. Took my keys and left...Wonder if Chevrolet would like to know..

Sorry about ranting...I am just sick of dealers blaming the dam truck when its incompetent techs or crappy service departments offing what they should fix. Chevy makes a good product, people who dont support the customer give them a bad name!

Tone out....PS! HELP!

OC_DMAX Guest

There are two spec values for the fuel injector balance rates. The two cases are:

With the transmission in Drive, all balance rates must be between:

-6 mm

20050824|7|006327|000000|216.230.93.198 Guest

OC_DMAX the readings I gave the truck was in park idling. Do I have a problem based on this ?

OC_DMAX Guest

Your number 3 cylinder balance rate was 1.1 to 1.4. Closer to zero the better. You are well within the window of +/- 4.0. From what you describe, the balance rates look good to me.

Arrow

I'd be curious to know if the 18-19 mpg came with the stock tires, and the 12-mpg came after installing 285 tires.

This scenario has been played out over, and over and over again when owners install larger tires without correcting the speedo.

If this were my truck, I would not troubleshoot a possible low mpg problem till after the vehicle speed sensor or computer has been corrected to reflect the correct vehicle speed. Aside from a pure math error in calculating fuel economy, the powertrain programming is operating the vehicle without the correct variable values. This can affect fuel economy regardless of the math error.

Super Lift offers their Tru-Speed calibrator for the LB7 (working on the LLY), and most aftermarket programmers can correct the ECM for tire size.

MP