Thread: my first 04 duramax truck , what can i do ???

hello , this is the first duramax i have bought and i love it . i would like to do some mods to it but i do not know which . i would like to keep it quiet with the exhaust and the most pulling i will do with it for now is snowmobiles to canada , 1200 mile round trip .

can anyone tell what to get .
    intake/filter
    chip or box whatever you guys call them
    anything alse inexspensive

please tell what kind of power i can get with the mods you recomend . thanks you can email me at jasmhuber@earthlink.net or post to the forum . thanks

Arrow

I'd recommend keeping everything stock - at least long enough for you to determine that the truck runs and drives normally. This "getting acquainted period" will also give you an opportunity to get somewhat used to the powertrain and how the truck handles. If there's anything that needs attention, your dealer will be better able to solve the problem if the truck is completely stock - stock tires, stock wheels, no aftermarket engine products.

Once you're ready to personalize the truck, I'd recommend doing a keyword search here in this Duramax 6600 forum for the words:

1- Magnuson-Moss
    2- Comparison

This would be a good place to start....

Good luck,

MP

DATSBAD,

You don't mention which truck you have but More Power has it exactly right. Ride it as it is for a while. If you don't pull heavy you don't really need a chip unless you just want to go faster. If you chip you need guages (PYRO and EGT) and a 4" exhaust system. If you have a short bed you have a 26 gal tank which means a lot of stops on a 1200 mile trip. I installed a 43 gal across the bed aux tank. I can pull 13500# and not stop all day for fuel. You won't get your money back for this mod (mabye in 200,000 miles) but it makes life much more enjoyable. The stock shocks are lousy, consider replacing them with Bilsteins. Change out your differential fluid after your first 500 mile pull. There are lots of fun toys and trinkets for these trucks and it can take years to figure it all out (not to mention pay for it all!!).\

Enjoy your truck and welcome to the DieselPage.

Regards,
    Bob
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A, CC/SB,<br />Olympic White, *Manik SS brush guard and nerfs, *Hella driving lamps, Velvet rides, *HD Air Lifts and Compressor, *Snugtop bed cover, *Linex, *Yakima rails on cover (mt.bikes), *Amsoil 2 stage airfilter. *Pioneer XM Radio. *SUBSTANTIALLY upgraded speakers,<br />Amp and Sub. *One piece drive shaft. *Mag-Hytec diff.cover, <br />*43 gal across the bed aux.tank (American Tank), *Lucerix pwr / heated mirrors, *Allison deep pan and transyd, *Street Pilot III GPS. *Suburban-type lighted <br />double sun visors, homelink system,steering wheel stereo controls, *Kennedy

thanks for the help , i just want more power than the other trucks runing around here and want to smoke my buddies psd bad . i am thinking of the predator and the juice . which would you get ? i like the ease of installation and the fact i can remove easily to take to the dealer .

i am going to also put on 17x8.5 weld cheyane wheels and 317/70/17 bfg's . i am just woried about taking away ride quality with cranking the torsion bars . maybe the next size smaller tire is what i need instead of the 315's .

what about an air filter or intake? thanks and answers are appreciated .

Just for clarity, an EGT gauge and pyro gauge are the same thing. Exhaust gas temp and pyrometer. Same thing. You probably want a boost gauge and EGT/Pyro.

Jess
    \'03 3500 CC LB<br />Lund Deflector<br />55 Gal Aux Inbox Tank<br />Dynomax 4 inch<br />K&N FIPK<br />Predator & Juice (but not at the same time )

anyone have any thoughts for me , seems someone here is having some problems with the predator , but i like the adjustments for tire size on the predator