Thread: 2003 duramax failing to start problem

I'm having a intermintent problem with my 2003 duramax. I would appreciate any insight that any one has to help trouble shoot and fix the problem. Here goes the story.

About the middle of june I pulled my 26 foot trailer (about 7000 pounds) down to see relatives. The temperature was in the 80's. After about 200 mile, we were running on fumes so we stopped and filled up. After the fill up, the engine would not start. I tried the following: 1) priming the filter, 2) replacing the fuel filter, 3) towing the truck to the nearest dealer.
    The dealer said that the check valves in the fuel filter were sticking so they clean the fuel filter assembly.

The next week, I went back down and picked up the truck and trailer. After about 60 miles, I stopped to get a bite to eat, and being brave I shut the engine off. It took about 4-5 seconds of cranking before it started. Needless to say, I left the engine running while I ate dinner. Again I was running on fumes, and at about 1/4 mile from my exit, the engine just died. This time the truck was towed to the dealer where I bought the truck. They spent 2 weeks working on the truck. They saw bleed down on the injectors, and ended up replacing all 8 injectors under warranty.

I drove the truck empty or short towing for about 2000 miles with no problems. I would like to say the the truck might to a little longer to start (.5 seconds), but it was hard to tell.

At the end of July, we took the same trip as the one we took in the middle of june. We stopped and ate dinner with 1/4 tank of fuel in the truck. After eating dinner the truck again would not start. The next day I went up with a friend to tow the truck back home. We tried to start the truck. It would not start. We bled and primed the fuel filter again. This time it started for about5 seconds and then died. We bled the line again, and then my friend pumped the priming put while I started the truck. This time it started and kept running. I ended up towing the trailor back up the next day with no problems. I left the truck running, and kept the fuel tank above 1/2 a tank on the whole trip back. I have not towed again, but the truck is running fine empty.

I have contacted my dealer again on this problem, and they will probably get the truck this week to troubleshoot.

My guesses as to what is happening is that:
    1) air is getting into the fuel supply my the pickup tube from the lift pump has a slight crack that allows air in after the truck is under load for a while.

2) Something electrical that is in the fuel shut off solinoid circuit.

I would appreciate any tips on how to trouble shoot this problem.

regards,

Mike Rapp

Arrow

A couple of observations..... 1- Most diesel owners dread running out of fuel, and prefer not to let it get close to running out. 2- Sounds like you may have an airleak in the fuel supply system.

Anything from a loose connection, defective hose, defective fuel filter seal or fuel filter base assy, bad Shrader valve assy (fuel pressure test port), etc. could be the source of the problem.

You might try pressurizing the fuel tank with no more than 5-10 psi, then look for a leaking fuel line or some fitting/hose/connection near the engine.

Jim