Thread: Drivers Side Light Switch

The light switch when you open the drivers side door is no longer working. The passengers side still works. The problem is I can't figure out now to remove the switch to Fix or replace. Do I have to take the entire top portion of the dash off or is there a simpler way?

Truck is listed in my signature.
    Thanks
    K2500 4x4 Regular Cab Long Bed 6.5L Turbo Diesel 170K and still strong.

panchosteam Guest

Hi, what you have to do is get a flash light and look under the dash on the door switch direction and you will see that the sw is only hold by it self, and it has some kind of locking plastic on it(don't know how to discribe it)but all you have to do is hold the switch from the out side and kind of unlock it from behind the dash,at the same time kind of push and turn a round and that is the way to get it out.

1984 GMC SIERRA CLASSIC 3/4 TON PICK UP NOW WITH 6.5 TD AND HEATH'S TURBO MASTER

diesel65 Guest

The easiest way to replace the dome light switch is to break the old switch, then reach up under the dash and pull the old switch out, It is a little tight.
    After when you disconnect the connector from the old switch, feed it back through the hole and hook up the new switch and then push the new switch back into place.

I agree breaking the old switch is the easiest. As I too cotnempleted how to get the darn things out then decided they were no good anyway so just break'em. I just romoved the front part of the dash, the part that just snaps in and out and the headlight switch IIRC then just push the old switch out a light bit then use a pliers to break off the round piece that holds it from going back into the dash. Then simply push it back towards the dash after you break it and remove it after you have disconnected the wiring. The new one simply snaps into place then reconnect the wiring.

Hope this helps.
    Wheat Whacker
    2001 Chevrolet 2500HD Crew Cab LB
    1995 Chevrolet 2500HD Ext. Cab LB
    6.5L Turbo Diesel HO (I know it ain't a DMAX but I can pretend, right)
    Amsoiled from one end to the other
    Road Warrior Class V Bumper with a "When I Grow Up I Want To Be a Kenworth" Bumpersticker