Thread: air conditioning service ??

my a/c was acting up so I swung by a Valvoline joint today and they tested the system. Said they could not work on it because someone used one of those cheap can refills in it and the system is contaminated. Am I screwed or will a normal shop be able to handle this?

GMC Hauler Guest

How was it acting up?

I've never heard of those "cheap" cans being contaminated, but i am not an AC expert. I've done all my charging on many vehicles for years and have had no problems.

Depending on what problem you are having, you might consider doing the work yourself.

Exclamation

What the valvoline place was probly talking about was they think you put some of the R134a with stop leak in it. The stop leak contains an epoxy/glue that reacts with water to activate it - so - when they want to evacuate the AC - they would suck out the stop leak and contaminate their equipment.

At least this is the only thing that I can think of that might "contaminate" their systems.

Kevin
    2007 classic sierra 6.6 duramax - 4x4 crew cab burgundy red1994 k2500 6.5 TD suburban with remote PSD 97 cooling mods JK fan and clutch SOL/D (at least for summer) hi output alternator DSG gear drive DSG oil cooler 4" exhaust 1983 International 3 cylinder diesel tractor (izuzu Diesel) 1990 1500 gas 5.7 suburban 1995 John Deere 310D Turbo Diesel Loader/Backhoe house addition/move