Thread: Marvel Mystery Oil?

At the pumps last night another Duramax was on the other side of the pump filling up. He saw me putting Stanadyne Performance Formula in my tank and told me he has been using Marvel in his fuel for about 40k miles and gets better power and mileage with it. Anyone else tried this old school stuff in their Duramax? Just doesn't seem right to me.
    2003 GMC 2500HD 4x4 6.6 Diesel <br />443+HP/944LB-FT unstacked #2 only

My brother in law just told me last week that he uses it in his older Powerstroke. First I had heard of it...
    <b>2003 GMC 2500HD D/A SLT 4x4 CC LB! (Polo Green) </b><br /><a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/album/53238125hQAlYl\" target=\"_blank\"><i>PICS HERE</i></a>

First started using it years ago when I was having a problem with my injectors in my '84 6.2 Suburban and it fixed my problem immediately, that's what sold me on it.

I've been using it all along since I first got my Dmax, every other fill up. I won't say it improves my milage any, but it does improve power and I feel it keeps my injectors clean & lubed up.
    2001 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 D/A LS Ext. Cab LB

kerry witherspoon Guest

so doe atf

ATF works just fine too Kerry but it's just to expensive and the exhaust smell will take your breath away (cleans the injectors good though).
    2001 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 D/A LS Ext. Cab LB

Hey JK... time for you to chime in here....

+'s and -'s on this vs. Total Power? I KNOW you sell it, but was wondering myself with these old techniques vs. the new additives. What do you think? Good every now and again?
    2001 JUICED GMC 2500HD SLE AlliMax, Longbed, Ext. Cab, 4X4 Summit White, G80 Differential, Husky Liners, Black UWS Toolbox, Black Westin Nerfs, Black Replacement Front and Rear Bumper, Black Bedrail caps, Autopage 2 way LCD Alarm remote start,JL Audio, Hella, Cobra, ProComp Mud Terrains, Tekonsha Prodigy Controller, Fumoto, Rhino Liner, 400 Watt Inverter, Pioneer XM Radio<br />KENNEDY 4\" Exhaust. 100,000 miles on January 31,2003!!<br /><a href=\"http://home.att.net/~markstanco\" target=\"_blank\"><b>PHOTOS UPDATE 11/02</b></a><br /><br />Gutter Pipe is your friend. Leafblower is your enemy.

I'm sure if you guys did a search on this topic, you'd find many reasons NOT to use ATF or Marvel's as a fuel additive.

I've used MMO and it's neat stuff. But it's something I would NEVER put in my diesel. Gassers? Fine. Diesel? Never, never, ever.

ATF? Absolutely not! The high detergent nature of ATF will cause all kinds of problems with today's injection pumps/systems. Not to mention, the ill effect it will have on cylinder washdown and soot deposits. Not good practice. And getting popped for running red fuel when your filter gets checked.
    I know there are all of you naysayers here that will say, "I've been using this stuff for years and years and years and never had a problem. Worked great in my old farm tractor (KW, Pete, or whatever)." To you I say, "Great. Wonderful. When your injection pump dies or you start to have problems, don't start crying about your voided warranty or how to fix it. You won't get any sympathy from me."

[ 12-04-2002: Message edited by: Amianthus ]</p>
    \'99 2500 ISB QC SLT (No Leather!),4x4,5sp w/McLeod,4:10,BP8x11\'s,B-1,FMS,EZ,PE4200,LPG,H2O/CH4O,4\"exh.,Pac-Brake,OBA,more switches than you,Line-X,V-1,lts,siren,lic. plt. frm says \"<b><i>Diesel Fumes Make Me Horny!</i></b>\",and much more goofy stuff.

I don't have much faith in stuff that's touted as a cure-all for everything. Especially if the words "Marvel" or "Mystery" are in the name. I've got a gasser that's been sitting for over 10 yrs, I might use some MMO just to free up the rings before cranking it (along with a few other precautions) but I wouldn't use it as a fuel additive.

I think the additives formulated specifically for diesel use are far better and safer. I've been using Stanadyne and it seems to work fine. I once put in a full dose on a nearly empty tank and drove to the gas station. I stopped at the light and the engine was so smooth and quiet, I looked down at the tach to ensure it was still running!

When I run out, I'm switching to FPPF Total Power and 8+ just to try it out. I've heard great things about this additive.

Regards, Steve

I bought some Red Line synthetic fuel additive this weekend and rand it with a tank and it seemed to help out just a little bit. IT said that it helped clean the fuel system as well as it was a cetane booster. Hope this is a good product, but if it isn't then it's a bit too late to worry about it.

Reb [&gt;&lt;]
    My Ride: \'01 Chevy Extended Cab Short Bed 4x4 LS Duramax/Allison, Juice 4.61 and some otehr goodies.<br /><br />New Toy: \'03 Mustang GT 5-speed, cold air intake. It\'s a fun toy but it\'s not a diesel.

I use MMO (Mixture of MMO and MMO Air Tool Oil) in my air tools, but NEVER will it find it's way into the tank on my truck.

My .02

[ 12-04-2002: Message edited by: SoMnDMAX ]</p>
    2003 Chevy 2500HD LT EC/SB D/A <br />Dark Gray, loaded..<br />Kennedy 4\" Exhaust, Headlight Harness, Access, Air Lift, Luverne, <br />Hot Juice, Mega Filter, more....<a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/somndmax\" target=\"_blank\">Pics</a><br /><a href=\"mailto:somndmax@yahoo.com\">somndmax@yahoo. com</a>

Arrow

MMO is a great product but not to add to the fuel.I will add that the best use I have found for it is to wipe your guns with.I have hunted salt water marshs in Mexico,Salton Sea and all over the west and in 30 years using MMO have never had any of them rust.Try it the best anti rust oil you will ever find. Cranky
    Cranky