Thread: Fuel filter change

Okay, I know this topic has been brought up over and over, but after searching for an hour I did not find any answers. They say to fill the new filter with fuel, does this need to be done or not. Is there a step by step anywhere on this forum on what needs to be done? I've seen anywhere from 25 to 50 pumps of the primer, who knows?

I just lube the o-rings and put on dry . Open bleeder and pump till the fuel is there.
    2002 Silverado DA combo 4 whl CC.
    New longblock 138252 Miles , Sill protectors
    Husky flaps
    SS Nerf Bars , Access Cover\' Coverall mats ,Lovern smoked bug shield , Dual Power Seats ,W,T.Tinted Vent Shades
    http://www.picturetrail.com/deerhunter7

Exclamation

They say to fill the new filter with fuel
    Who is "they"?

This OK with oil filters, but not with the later fuel system filters. The fresh oil you would use to fill an oil filter is as clean, or cleaner, than the filter will put out. Not the same with fuel. If you fill the filter, you will be giving the pump a slug of fresh, unfiltered fuel. It has a priming pump. Use it, even if it takes 25 or 50 strokes. Just think of priming 2 filters, OEM + Mega, at the same time with the primer. The Mega cartridge has 4 times the volume of the OEM. Takes a lot more than 50 strokes, but worth it knowing that every drop of fuel has been filtered.

There are enough concerns with getting clean fuel into the system without adding additional uncertainty.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

DITTO,DITTO,DITTO,

Jomar
    2002 Chevy D/A LT 4x4 EC LB Indigo Blue
    Ranch Hand Grille Guard
    Stock Air Filter Rancho 9000 Shocks
    Luverne STS Boards
    Bestop Electric Towing Mirrors
    Husky Floor Mats
    Reese 16K 5er Hitch
    Amsoil all the way
    Dynomax 4in. exhaust system
    Egt & Boost Gauges
    OD Lockout
    Swiss cheese airbox

"They" was the guy at the dealership. Never the less I didn't do it. Took me 15 minutes from the time the hood was opened till it was closed, came out perfect.

DieselDixon, I take it that it took you 15 minutes to change your fuel filter and primed it too. What and how is your method, step by step, If you don't mind sharing your method. Thanx, and everyone have a good day.
    2002 GMC 3500 SLT D/A CC INDIGO BLUE Westin Plat. Step, Bilsteins, Kennedy Harness, Nokia bulbs, GM color molded mats, Tekonsha control, 4 inch exhaust.

Originally posted by ZL-1:
    DieselDixon, I take it that it took you 15 minutes to change your fuel filter and primed it too. What and how is your method, step by step, If you don't mind sharing your method. Thanx, and everyone have a good day.
    I just used someone else