Thread: Metal in fuel filter

Red face

6 months ago on my son's 200 gmc we had a pump put on,now it's bad again and the mech. says there is metal in the filter.
    I though i was in for it when he said the tank and lines would have to be flushed.
    He also said the lift pump was the cause(idon't think so )an needed to be replaced.
    Well he going to let me take it home and flush it ,i think i missed the bullet!!!!!
    I think the metal came from the bad inj pump,what do you think?????
    David
    David n5vxu<br />Truck Pic\'s [URL=http://community.webshots.com/user/n5vxu<br />96 chevy 2500 ext.cab<br />phazer gears<br />cooling mods<br />3.5\"muffler and tail pipe(from a FORD)<br />air box mods<br />egt, trans,and boost gages<br />Home made fsd cooler $10<br />Don\'t need no home made adj.boost controler 11psi<br />My son joey\'s truck<br />2000 gmc crew cab long bed 4x4<br />3 1/2\" exhaust (from a Duramax)

David, thats a good possibility. Under GM warranty when replacing the injection pump, they require dropping the fuel tank, cleaning it and putting a magnet in the tank bottom. For future metal (ferrous metal). I'm not sure what happens if any non-ferrous material gets in the system.
    If they replaced the pump without doing this, and it failed under the pump warranty, I'd go back on them. If you installed it, then I guess its your issue. I'm not sure if rebuilder's state anything in their warranty about removing the tank etc.
    Tom McCauley (DP Member #513)
    "Tankers-ToyII" Loaded 05 D/A K-3500 CC, SRW. Deep pan on Allison w/Transyn. Edge Juice w/attitude, 4" Kennedy exhaust, 98 Gal. Transfer-Flow cross bed fuel tank, Leer 100XQ bed cap. Reese 14,000lb class V hitch w/ dual cam HP sway control. Tow 34ft. 32FKD Holiday Rambler travel trailer. GCW 20,360lbs

I had a similar problem on my 97. IP started to fail, brought it in for warranty and they stated that there were metal filings in my tank. My lift pump was defective as well although no metal was found in my fuel filter. How the metal got into the tank is a mystery. Had the tank flushed and new IP installed.

Red face

I think when the pump went bad it dumped metal in the return line to the tank and back to the filter!!!
    David n5vxu<br />Truck Pic\'s [URL=http://community.webshots.com/user/n5vxu<br />96 chevy 2500 ext.cab<br />phazer gears<br />cooling mods<br />3.5\"muffler and tail pipe(from a FORD)<br />air box mods<br />egt, trans,and boost gages<br />Home made fsd cooler $10<br />Don\'t need no home made adj.boost controler 11psi<br />My son joey\'s truck<br />2000 gmc crew cab long bed 4x4<br />3 1/2\" exhaust (from a Duramax)

damork Guest

I believe the pump spews metal into the tank when it fails, but if you put a filter prior to the lift pump, it should take prevent the majority of your problems. A good Racor or similar filter can prevent any damage to the lift pump and downstream components. You will be hard pressed to find any metal in your underhood fuel filter after adding the primary filter to the system. This is one area that GM should have paid more attention to. Early 6.2 diesels had them (I had one on an 83).