Thread: DURAMAX Suburban

Question

Hello has any one heard when the DMax sub will be out.
    2002 D/A CC S/B Pewter <br /><br />36 ford 2DR sedan Streetrod <br />2000 Yamaha SUV 1200 Waverunner<br />2002 VW Bug Red Turbo S<br /><a href=\"http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?username=2damax\" target=\"_blank\"> 2DAMAX 2002 Chevy D/A & Mod\'s</a>

IT's not happening. I had email correspondence with the enginering manager at GM Powertrain (used to sell them FEA software). He told me that the Duramax requires the Allison tranny- the 4L80 can't hold the power. Problem is that the Suburban chassis is different, and the Allison won't fit. They had a proposal to put a de-tuned D-max in to work with 4L80E, but marketing didn't believe that they could sell enough units to offset the engineering & certification expense-- thus the project was killed.

So, I gave up my wait-- for nearly 10 years and a quarter of a million miles on my 6.5 'Burban and broke down and got a '04 LLY Crewcab. Oh my gosh it is ever sweeeeett. Wife won't let me sell the Suburban-- she refuses to drive a "pickup truck".

Good luck-

Originally posted by nopower65:
    IT's not happening. I had email correspondence with the enginering manager at GM Powertrain (used to sell them FEA software). He told me that the Duramax requires the Allison tranny- the 4L80 can't hold the power. Problem is that the Suburban chassis is different, and the Allison won't fit. They had a proposal to put a de-tuned D-max in to work with 4L80E, but marketing didn't believe that they could sell enough units to offset the engineering & certification expense-- thus the project was killed.

So, I gave up my wait-- for nearly 10 years and a quarter of a million miles on my 6.5 'Burban and broke down and got a '04 LLY Crewcab. Oh my gosh it is ever sweeeeett. Wife won't let me sell the Suburban-- she refuses to drive a "pickup truck".

Good luck-
    i beg to differ id give it 2 years..probobly be there..and its not the issue of the allison fitting..it fits..the problem is the frame isnt strong enough for the duramax..u should be seeing a suburban HD before to long

koolgt, your are an evil sadistic man that gets great pleasure out of this don't you. First the LLY, now the diesel Sub. LOL
    AAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!

all i know are rumers...but they most turn out true

Kool GT
    Are there any rumors out there about a Dmax H2? That vehicle is heavy and has poor fuel economy and would be awesome with a dmax under the hood.

Man I'd love to have a DMax Suburban! Yeah it'll cost an arm and a nut, but it'll be one bad-ass Expedition killer!
    I had a 2001 GMC Yukon XL 2500 8.1 4L80E 4x4 4.10s and it got 12 MPG average. I'm sure a diesel Sub would get at least 16 average MPG. Not a huge difference, but just to have a diesel under the hood, Allison trans and 11.5 rear axle, it would be one serious ride!

As for the H2, it's definitely screaming for a diesel under the hood. A smaller variation would be nice. Something with 250 HP or more, and about 425 Ft Lbs or more. An engine that would fit in more than one model. Something that would be light enough to put in the 1500 pickups, Tahoe's, vans, etc.

Jeep has their concept 'Rescue' which has the 3/4 ton Dodge Ram drivetrain and new Cummins. I read a magazine article the other day and the bean counters at DC (Diamler Chrysler) think buyers would rather have the Hemi in it. Sounds to me like the Cummins was an Auto Show project and if they actually make the Rescue, it won't have a diesel option. The way things are going with diesel engine optins these days..
    Dodge was supposed to have a diesel for the Dakota and Durango..where is it? Ford diesel for the F150 and Expedition..gone! Jeep Liberty diesel..where is that one?
    -Chris

I wish GM would do this, too. I jumped ship to a Ford Excursion with the new 6.0PSD from my 01 HD2500 dmax/allison last Sept to get as close to a diesel powered 'burb as I could before they went away. They were suppose to go away after 04 but now ford says they'll build them beyond that date. Doh!

Anyway, my 6.0PoSD has been a POS. 8800 miles and one visit to the shop after another. It has the new injectors so no problems there but turbos, FCIM's, EGR, turbo accutators, loud, reflashes, inconsistent mileage and power, etc. It's in the shop again today for a dead pedal issue and another oil leak. It's been a huge disappointment to me and I'm starting to think DSB/Lemon Law buy back. It's a shame GM doesn't offer me what I really want.
    John B-jeb<br />01 Silverado LT SB CC D/A 4x4 2500HD