Thread: Winter Grill Cover

Question

I've been using winter front cover (upper portion) while it's been below freezing. In past, used to see winter fronts on many 18 wheelers and other big rigs. Now, very seldom do I see a winter grill cover on big rigs. How come???
    01 2500HD LS 4x4 D/A Ext Cab Short Box, Charcoal Gray, Linex, Snow Plow, Denali dash bezel<br />4x4 light that now works!<br />Under seat storage bin (paid $31.75), Bilstein shocks, Timbren front springs

I think maybe I got screwed on this. I don't have any winter cover in my truck. Granted I bought it used and the old owner may have taken his with him. My truck was born in 5/01. Maybe they didn't provide covers then?

Reb [&gt;&lt;]
    My Ride: \'01 Chevy Extended Cab Short Bed 4x4 LS Duramax/Allison, Juice 4.61 and some otehr goodies.<br /><br />New Toy: \'03 Mustang GT 5-speed, cold air intake. It\'s a fun toy but it\'s not a diesel.

Reb---My truck was borned on 6/01 and it had the two front grill covers with it. The guy who owned it befor you must still have them. Maybe you can get ahold of him and see if he still has them. I can't think of a thing anyone could use them for other than covering the front of the truck.
    2001 Chevy 2500 HD Extended Cab Duramax, Allison Tran. 4X4. Rino bed liner, westin step rails, Fumoto Valve.<br />Set The Hook Hard. Kick the Tires and Light the Fire.

Cool

Rebel_Horseman: I have a feeling it is what part of the country you purchased your truck wheather or not you get a grill cover or not. Just a guess.
    2002 Chevy D/A CC<br />Pewter, Westin Stainless bars

It must not depend on the part of the U.S. you live in, since I got one with my new 2500HD in February of '01 (Florida).
    2001 2500HD D/A CC/SB 4x4<br />A.R.E. Z-series topper, CA 75-series boards, Bedrug, Fumoto valve, Amsoil air filter, Jan \'02 PCM updates,Transfer Flow 50 gal. crossbed aux. fuel tank, Bilstein shocks, 25 ft. Tahoe Transport toybox (9.6K loaded), Hensley hitch, Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller.

A lot of the big rigs have thermostatically controlled louvers that are behind the grill so you don't notice them.

Walt
    03 2500HD LS D/A 4X4 XC SB

I got them in S.C. too. Figured I'd never need them liveing here but took a trip to KY at Thanksgiving. With the tranny scoop installed and the 30 degree weather the tranny was only running at 110 degrees. Decided I should put the covers on! [img]smile.gif[/img] HAHA!!!!!

The directions tell you to install them for the first time in WARM weather! DUH!!!

I was never able to get all the fasteners for the lower cover on but got enough to make it hold.

But who decided to install the sensor for the rearview mirror thermometer behind the cover?? Once you use the cover the thermometer is useless!

My truck has a born on date of 10-2000. It came with a grill cover, although the dealer didn't know to expect it. The truck was one of the first delivered in CA, and probably one of the first off the assembly line. The truck was ordered and delivered to San Luis Obispo, CA (souther-central coastline). No need for a winter cover there, or realistically within 150 miles. Unless they changed policy after that, all of the Duramax equipped trucks came with them for the '01/'02 models. Don't know about '03. After hearing of a lot of butchering that happened to the '03 models, it wouldn't surprise me.

Sounds like the previous owner either discounted its usefulness and tossed it, forgot about it, or just kept it.

My '03 Crew cab's covers were under the rear seat.

There has to be some of the sun-baked Dmax owners who would make you a great deal on their hunk of useless vinal.
    <b>2003 GMC 2500HD D/A SLT 4x4 CC LB! (Polo Green) </b><br /><a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/album/53238125hQAlYl\" target=\"_blank\"><i>PICS HERE</i></a>

Those covers are easy to put on, as you are installing apply the heat from 4 hair driers with the help of 2 friends.

good luck
    GMC 2002 DURAMAX, SLT, EXCAB SHORT BOX 2500HD, 4X4, AUTO
    ACCESS TONNEAU COVER, 3" STAINLESS TUBE STEPS
    JORDAN BRAKE CONTROLLER
    34ft 10,000 lb TRAILER, 50 GAL TRANSFERE FLOW TANK (total 76 gals)

Rebel_Horseman

Not to long ago a Chevy dealer in Georgia was selling them on ebay cheap.....I actually bought a set due to they were NON fog light covers and I was going to attempt to retro fit over my Piaa air dam.....I believe it was Maypole Chevrolet.....I paid I think 7 or 8 bucks for the whole set + freight......
    =&gt;Maypole Maypole Chevrolet PO Box 1223 Toccoa,
    GA 30577 (706) 886-7481 maypolechevrolet@netscape.net.

May be worth the call or email......Mention Ebay.....

MAC

[ 12-10-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

Series 60 Detroits are not supposed to be run with a full cover. Only a partial is recommended when it gets really cold. If I remember right the intercooler doesn't get enough air.
    2003 GMC 2500HD, DMAX/ZF 6 gear, 4X4, CC/SB, Carbon Metallic, <br />pre OEM CAT filter, H2 wheels & tires. <a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/jelisfc\" target=\"_blank\">Pics</a>