Thread: The cold killed my truck

Got up to go to work, it's -3 out. Yesterday it was 10 and truck ran fine. Today it only made it about 5 miles. I live near Rochester NY but went to SC over new years and probably don't have 100% northern fuel in the tank, so it looks like it jelled. The truck is parked in a grocery store parking lot, and I drove my wives car to work. It's supposed to warm back up to around 10 this afternoon so I should be able to get it home then. After my wife picked me up and I took her back home I added another dose of Standidyne (spelling) on the way back to work, so I hope that helps, even though it won't be mixed up. Trouble is on one of the short little runs I was doing to get to the parking lot, I picked up a service engine soon light. Could it just be from the poor running I was experiencing, or do any of you think I have done something else. Also to reset the light is it the same as on a gasser? I don
    Got Big Truck 2001 Chevy/Duramax/4X4/6 speed/crew cab/long box

Jake99Z71 Guest

If your additive doesn't work and the temp doesn't warm up enough. Go and buy Power Service 911 this will thaw out your tank and lines. I have seen this work on 18 wheelers.

I tried the truck last night (temperature 5 degrees) and it wouldn't stay running. I brought another dose of Stanadyne this morning on the way to work and it started/stalled/started again and ran fine (outside temp about 8 degrees). SES light was off but came back on about 10 miles down the road when I slowed to make a turn. I was limited to 2000 RPM. It was idling smoothly before I shut it down. Keeping my fingers crossed that it'll run tonight with the double dose and the SES light will stay off.

Kennedy Guest

I'd look at dropping the fuel filter to see what is inside.

Once started, the FICM, fuel heater etc should warm things up a bit. Conditioners are generally only effective when used as a preventive measure, so it may be necessary to warm the truck inside for a while. There are conditioners that will thaw the fuel in the tank/system, but I'd reserve those for emergency only as they typically contain the alcohols we are warned about. Short term is OK in an emergency, but only in an emergency.

Thanks John. I will put it in the garage tonight, however it is an unheated garage. But the good news is they are predicting a return to more normal temps of around 30 degree

This is why I always add a fuel conditioner year round. You never know what you will pick up these days. At work our Diesel storage tank jelled , Looking at the supplier as to why. As John said prevention is best.
    Tom McCauley (DP Member #513)
    "Tankers-ToyII" Loaded 05 D/A K-3500 CC, SRW. Deep pan on Allison w/Transyn. Edge Juice w/attitude, 4" Kennedy exhaust, 98 Gal. Transfer-Flow cross bed fuel tank, Leer 100XQ bed cap. Reese 14,000lb class V hitch w/ dual cam HP sway control. Tow 34ft. 32FKD Holiday Rambler travel trailer. GCW 20,360lbs

madmatt Guest

just a little info on fuel additives..

Document ID# 1558305
    2005 Chevrolet Chevy K Silverado - 4WD

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6.5L Diesel or 6.6L Duramax Diesel Fuel Additives - kw L65 LB7 LLY block cold contaminated contamination economy filter flush GMT800 #PIP3203 - (Oct 22, 2004)
    6.5L Diesel or the 6.6L Duramax Diesel Fuel Additives

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom described in the PI.

Condition/Concern:
    The use of diesel fuel additives is not required or recommended for the 6.5L diesel or the 6.6L Duramax Diesel engine under normal conditions. The filtering system is designed to block water and contaminants without the use of additives. However, some customers may desire to use fuel additives to improve the characteristics of available diesel fuels.

Recommendation/Instructions:
    Water Emulsifiers and Demulsifiers

If the customer desires to use a fuel additive, care must be taken in its selection. There are two common methods that fuel additives use to cope with water in the fuel. One method is through demulsification of water in the fuel. This method causes water particles to combine together to form larger particles and drop out of suspension, which still allows the fuel filter to separate water from the fuel as designed. The other method of coping with water in the fuel is through emulsification. This method, often using alcohol as the emulsifier, keeps water particles suspended in the fuel. Emulsification of water in the fuel can allow water to get past the fuel filter/water separator, causing damage to the fuel system. Both Racor and Stanadyne diesel fuel additives are alcohol free and utilize water demulsifiers to cope with water in the fuel.

COMMON DIESEL FUEL CONCERNS

Fuel Waxing/Icing

Fuel distributors blend #1 and #2 diesel fuels for seasonal requirements in a particular region. No other blending of fuels is recommended. However, a customer may desire to use a winter fuel additive to prevent fuel waxing or icing during extreme cold snaps. If a winter fuel additive is to be used, it should not contain alcohol or other water emulsifiers that may compromise the water removal effectiveness of the fuel filtering system.

Bacteria and Fungi Growth

Bacteria and fungi growth can occur in diesel fuel when there is water present, especially during warmer weather. The best prevention against bacteria and fungi growth is to use clean fuel that is free of water. There are diesel fuel biocides available which are designed to kill bacterial growth in the fuel system. However, the dead bacteria can still cause blockages throughout the fuel system. If bacterial growth is found in the fuel system, the proper method of removal is to flush the fuel system using service manual procedures, replace the fuel filter element, and refill the tank with clean diesel fuel. If a customer desires to use a biocide after flushing the fuel system, it should not contain alcohol or other water emulsifiers.

Low Cetane Number

The cetane number is one indicator of a diesel fuel

Thanks everyone for the great info. I changed the fuel filter last monday (only 2800 miles on it) and everything is back to normal, no more SES lights, and normal power. It was in the 20's on Monday but I think I had a combination of some southern fuel (not blended to NY's cold) and possibly some bad fuel from either BJ's or a station in Maryland (I don't remember where we stopped). I went to AutoZone yesterday and had the code P0093, major fuel leak, which I believe was just from the fuel gelling, since I have no more symptoms. I haven't had any injector issues, so I hope I hjaven't aggrivated anything. Only time will tell.