Actually I should say that it gets hotter...hotter than its companion on the opposite side after any given amount of use. I recently did the rear brakes and noticed this when I was adjusting them. ( I adjusted the brakes by seating the shoes wile spinning the wheel, then backing off a few clicks).

I can't perceive any drag by (1) spinning the wheels, (2) driving and braking or (3) driving and coasting. I raised both wheels up and supported the vehicle and verified that the rear brakes seem to grab and realease normally, at least under a no-load condition. The brakes "feel" and perform fine, yet the one drum is noticeably hotter after even a short drive. The wheel is not hot, neither is the hub or axle tube-just the finned area on the perimeter of the drum.

I removed the drum in question for a second look at my work, but can't find anything out of order. I had done a pretty thorough job anyway, making sure to clean everything and lube what needed lubing. I did not however, replace any hardware.

A failed hub seal had leaked, which caused this whole mess to begin with. The drum in question was thoroughly de-greased during the brake job, though the porous outside of the casting is still "impregnated" with oil. Could the oil prevent the drum from dissipating heat at the same rate as the other "dry" drum ?

Also, I had recently replaced the frame rail brake line and bled the brakes. If I left any air in the (opposite side) hydraulic line, could that cause the side in question to be "overworked" ?

Thanks for looking !

Eric/packmaster2r