Thread: Rotate batteries???

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Rotate batteries???

As I changed out another set of ~3 year old Delcos recently, it occured to me that my fleet maintenance has gotten lax recently when it comes to battery 'rotation'.

Back in the 6.5L days, it was common practice because it seemed we were forever cleaning terminals, inspecting grounds, etc. to keep the cold blooded beasts starting through the winter. We would regularly swap the location of the dual batteries, ensuring that if one had been isolated due to a bad connection or ground, it would now be in position for the next round of abuse...and the battery that had been starting the truck solo would be in for equal duty, or eventually respite - if the same connection problem were to re-occur over time.

Since both batteries were mounted up front on the 6.5s, not much thought was given to the environment each lived in, it was connections and grounds as the variable...enter the unique locations of Duramax dual batteries in 2001...with one mounted up front near the drivers side headlight bucket (a cooler environment) and the other that lives back against the firewall soaked in underhood heat from engine and the nearby turbo.

After replacing three pairs (2001HD, 2002HD, 2006K3500) of OEM Delco batteries in as many years on the Duramaxes, I have noticed that 100% of the time its the passenger side firewall battery (same one that pukes out the vent in the summer time) that fails.

My new theory is if I rotated batteries each fall,each set would last at least one season longer...or reduce battery replacement costs on the fleet by ~30%. A hidden advantage is by rotating, you are also cleaning and treating terminals to dielectric grease.

Time is money.
    Last edited by Mark Rinker; 11-03-2008 at 11:03.
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K