I was lookin' at ads on craigslist when I stumbled up on this big red truck with a knocking 6.5TD. Arranged a price and purchased it. My current pull rig is just a 6.2L Suburban 1/2 ton. Let's just say that even with additional springs in the rear and better shocks that it's still a 1/2 ton and I bit off more than I could readily chew on the pull back home, around 200 miles. It was a long trip at 50mph due to the stability of the rig, 6.2 would pull faster. Just saying I wouldn't recommend this pulling scenario!

After just owning for a week, I troubleshooted what was wrong with the engine, performed compression test, pulled the top end apart to check the valve train, found one hole 100psi low, and the knock wasn't an injector of course.

So I'm pulling it...

Once the engine was pulled out, I found upon assembly that the one cylinder with low compression had a rod bearing failure and the journal was severly gone on the crank. Needs bore, new crank, and the rest of the stuff to fix. But it isn't cracked on the bottom end (initial inspection of course). Replacement goodwrench engine too, but it's a 1997 engine, and 1996 truck, go figure right?

So, how can someone drive something for so long to wear a journal down this far with a knock, knocks scare the crap out of me I quit running them!

Guess Robyn and I are both digging in K3500 6.5 guts...