In your conversion truck, how did you get the climate controls and radio to work, I know that your conversion guide mentions that it includes information to produce a running and drivable truck. So, are there any manuals or wiring diagrams for those kind of things in the truck? Also what kind of unforeseen problems further down the road have you run into? Any electrical or drive train problems or other little things? Any help is very appreciated thank you-Robert

I installed the complete under dash/inside cab wiring harness, fuse block, and electrical junction blocks matching the engine/trans package. I also installed a matching dash. This allowed me to use the matching audio system, light switch, pushbutton 4WD switch and instrument panel gauge cluster. I retained the original 1989 control panel for the HVAC system by interfacing it with the new harness. This is covered in the Conversion Guide (HVAC system).

No problems with the drivetrain have come up, except that if doing it again, I would install a matching model year steering column, which would simplify the conversion. The Guide shows how to retain the original steering column and get the cruise, turn, horn and wiper system integrated into the new electrical system.

Jim

For this conversion, how much would the approximate cost be? I've read all the articles I can find on the conversion you did with the '89 however I can’t find a build cost. I'm looking to do it to my 1996 and was wondering about an approximate build cost to just get it running and drivable. Thank you -Robert

Assuming you did all the work, the total cost would depend on what you pay for a conversion package. I've heard of packages going for $5k to $12k. Many almost-new low mileage salvage trucks go for somewhere in the $7500 range, but you'd need a salvage license to bid on insurance vehicles. Ebay can also be a good source for engines and parts.

Jim

You mentioned a conversion kit, aside from taking the parts out if a salvage truck what do you mean?
Thank you Robert
I referred to a conversion parts package that was assembled from a salvage truck. A package will contain the complete engine/transmission, all related wiring harnesses, computer modules, fuse blocks, electrical center, intercooler/hoses, radiator, steering column, etc.

There have been a few "packages" sold on eBay. I urge people to buy a complete package or a complete salvage truck. The little bits & pieces can really run the cost up if you have to buy them over the counter.

Jim