Thread: Wipers stock in the middle of windshield

Unhappy Wipers stock in the middle of windshield

Greetings everyone.

My 1998 6.5T suburban has the wipers stock in the middle of the windshield.
    They work just fine but when i stop them they run their last cycle and then they stop right in the middle of the windshield.
    I bought the truck that way but did not mind since i had other issues (glow plugs, lift pump, FSD/PD, starter etc..) now that the truck seems reliable
    i need to fix this wiper issue.
    Any body knows how to fix this problem.

Thank you so much for your help.

Cheers

Eric

The control board may be the culprit as could the wiper motor itself.

The controlers on these are notorious for issues. Not hard to change either way.

The electric plug unsnaps from the board and removing a few torx screws will allow the board to slide out away from the motor.

NAPA sells a good replacement board for about $35

Robyn
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

If I'm not mistaken, you can double check with a dealer but I know on my 1996 2500 suburban, there was a wiper motor recall. It was never replaced by the previous owner / fire department.

Just something you may want to double check. Definitely go the NAPA route if recall is not an option.

Default One more question

Hi

Thank you for your great answer.

Forgive my ignorance but the "board" is part of the wiper motor, is that correct?
    if the board is part of the motor I can get a motor from AutoZzone for 40 dollars. it might be worth changing the motor (with the board) (?)

Cheers

Eric

The board is the circuit board underneath the cover. The defect is usually broken solder joints. I have repaired several by just heating and re-soldering ti joints. There is a re-call on the boards. Try the dealer for a replacement, then if that don't pan out, try re-soldering, if that don't work replace it!
    Jim
    96 GMC 2500 Ext cab Long bed, 8600#, 3.73, Amsoil air filter, amsoil oil, amsoil trans fluid, 3.5 Kennedy Exhaust, 97 airbox mods, EGT, Boost, & Trans Temp on pillar, Heath bumper mounted FSD. Pulling 28' Sprinter 5th

I don't have one here to look at, but I'll bet someone took yours apart and put it back together wrong. The drive arm (or whatever it is) is not correctly indexed with the control board. Basically, let it stop where it wants then re-index the drive so the wipers are parked.

The recall is for motors that stop randomly.
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

Default thank you again.

I will look at it this week-ends (if my kids leave alone) and i will let you all know my progress.

Thank you all again for your great advise.

Cheers

Eric