Thread: Any tips to r&r ignition switch?

Default Any tips to r&r ignition switch?

I've got the fishbite thing happening. Replaced the PMD and fishbite continues. Now I'm headed for the ignition switch. Anything I need to now before I go in? I did one on the '83 a few years ago and it was a bit of a pain but I don't remember the details.

Who here has done it and what do I need to know?

Thanks,

Lewis
    84 C10 J code intake.

83 C10 Scottsdale w/veggie conversion.

98 K3500 Silverado CC DRW, marine injectors, 4" exhaust (kitty cat MIA), boost and egt gauges, FSD relocated, #9 resistor thingy, reman Navistar block from Kennedy installed Jan 08, Reese Signature Series Gooseneck hitch.

95 C2500 F code. Rebuilt GEP. Daily driver since Jan 2014.

Before you tear into the ignition switch, have you checked to make sure that your lift pump is working?

What vehicle ?
    tilt steering?
    air bag?
    Column or floor shift?
    I broke my crystal ball
    Ron
    rhsub 99K2500 suburban 6.5 code F,4L80, 4:10, FSD cooler, DSG oil cooler and lines, Dtech FSD, injectors, Isspro egt, trans and boost guages, Bilistein shocks

Quote Originally Posted by rhsub View Post
    What vehicle ?
    tilt steering?
    air bag?
    Column or floor shift?
    I broke my crystal ball
    Ron
    98 K3500
    Yes on tilt
    No on airbag
    Column shift/auto

The fuel pump is running and pumping plenty of fuel with the engine running.

Lewis
    84 C10 J code intake.

98 K3500 Silverado CC DRW, marine injectors, 4" exhaust (kitty cat MIA), boost and egt gauges, FSD relocated, #9 resistor thingy, reman Navistar block from Kennedy installed Jan 08, Reese Signature Series Gooseneck hitch.

I dont pull the steering wheel, I just pull the bottom cover and knee panel, then its two screws and the harness. That is of course if you are talking about the ignition switch and not the tumbler.
    Joshua R. L. Certified Journeyman Automotive Service Technician

1997 K1500 6.5T, DSG gears 'n' girdles 364k
    1997 K2500 5.7, 428k
    1999 K2500 6.5T, 514K
    1961 Apache 10 SWB panel, work in progress

Yes. Just the switch. This is all I needed to know. I think the 98 will be much simpler than the '83 that I did.

Thanks,

Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by 97-6.5TD-F View Post
    I dont pull the steering wheel, I just pull the bottom cover and knee panel, then its two screws and the harness. That is of course if you are talking about the ignition switch and not the tumbler.
    84 C10 J code intake.

Looks like I need an inverted e4 torx driver to get to the top left screw on the switch. I have a socket that worked on the bottom right screw but the top left will not allow the socket to get in there. Do I need to do more dis-assembling to use the socket, do I find a driver that will squeeze in there, or is there a trick that I am missing?

Lewis
    84 C10 J code intake.

This is the socket you need: Snapon STLE40 or anything similar

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog

I have this socket to do the distributor cap on the GM LT1
    William

97 Chevy Tahoe 2Dr 6.5 Kennedy Exhaust Pipes w/Homemade Resonator and Flowmaster Muffler, Turbo Tech intercooler and Kennedy/Westers computer
    01 Sunline 2363 Travel Trailer

That socket would certainly do it. I had the short version of that on hand but not the long one. I just chopped the ear off the switch with a chisel, removed the switch, then I could get my socket in there to remove the screw. Putting the new one back on, I just used a similar short phillips head screw.

It was a little confusing because I certainly had to do more than just pop the bottom cover and then take out 2 screws. I could do it again much quicker now that I know what's going on and what has to come out. Anyway...It's done, yet the fishbite problem continues.

Lewis
    84 C10 J code intake.

Very little help here, but mine did the fishbite thing for a long time then one day when it did it it threw a code for the crank position sensor. Replaced the sensor, still did it but didnt throw the code again. Had a feeling it could be internal to the ecm, bought a reman ecm & heaths hp4 program at same time. A long story, but the ecm is still sitting in my toolbox, the hp4 program is in, & have not felt a fishbite in ages. I highly doubt the chip had any thing to do with it, but frankly i completely forgot about it. I still would bet money the fishbite comes from the fuel solenoid sticking once in a while, but cant prove it. On the screw to the ignition switch, i think i used a pair of needle nose vise grips to remove it without removing the steering wheel. I do so much steering column work its hard to remember every application.
    95 K2500 6 lug ecsb leather silverado, 2006 amg 18:1, kennedy exhaust, no cat, heath 2.0, heath boost control, ss diesel air filter, ata intercooler, high idle, bf goodrich 285/75/16 all terrains, remote pmd, three guage pillar pod

Quote Originally Posted by CedarGrove View Post
    That socket would certainly do it. I had the short version of that on hand but not the long one. I just chopped the ear off the switch with a chisel, removed the switch, then I could get my socket in there to remove the screw. Putting the new one back on, I just used a similar short phillips head screw.

It was a little confusing because I certainly had to do more than just pop the bottom cover and then take out 2 screws. I could do it again much quicker now that I know what's going on and what has to come out. Anyway...It's done, yet the fishbite problem continues.

Lewis
    You prob checked everything worth checking, but could you have a wire in the IP ,PMD circut or at the firewall plugins or grounds that is broke of inside the insulation but most times still making contact.

I had a similair gremlin on a grand am that did a hickup every now and then.
    i traced the culprit on a PCM groundwire where it entered the loom in engine bay. By wriggeling and stretching every wire with engine running.
    and yet that same wire tested good on continuity testing several times before.
    98 GMC sierra 2500 ext cab 4x4 auto tr 6.5 td 252000 km. needs new engine, next project
    95 GMC sierra LE 2500 ext cab sh box 4x4 auto tr 6.5 td 328.000 km. my wife's truck .remote pmd on cooler
    89 GMC sierra SLE 1500 ext cab 4x4 auto tr 6.2 720000 km engine swap at 665000 km because of broken oil cooler line. 6 bolt wheels.
    Waldon wheelloader repowered with a 6.2 na

Default ignition switch r&r

I'm sure this is way to late to be of any help, but I just replaced the ignition switch in my 2000 K3500 SRW 6.5 TD. I removed the upper and lower covers, then for the upper left hand inverted torx head screw, I went to the hardware store and found a torx head cap screw that was about 2"-2 1/4" long and two nuts. Worked like a charm. It kind of helped that not much torque on screw.

That's a good method.

Everyone can rest easy though. Fish quit biting after I tossed a rebuilt 5521 at it.

Can we close this thread?

Cheers,

Lewis
    84 C10 J code intake.