Thread: 3054 CAT or 4045 Deere???

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

hey i saw your post and i am in the process of putting a john deere 4.5 litre 4 cylinder diesel, i think its the 4045, in a 1992 dodge ram 150. i am trying to find a clutch plate and adapter plate to hook up 2 a transmission. i was told of a place called North American Clutch and driveline. they have helped me out a little on a clutch plate, but i'm looking for more options if you have anything you found some help would be appreciated.

Hello all,

I wish I could help with the bellhousing and clutch. No such luck... I have looked for info and parts or a combo of parts, with no real success. I've been to John Deere and looked through there bellhousing catalogs. Nobody does this kinda thing so they look at you like your crazy when you tell then what your doing.

I dont have a engine yet so dont know which bellhousing I will wind up with. The one SAE 3 I looked at has room to play with, i.e. I wont have to cut down or "make" a new bell. My plan was to simpley make a adapter plate to bolt a GM trans to the SAE 3 bell (was also used on the Cummins 4BT if I can find one). Then, mill/build a spool piece to adapt the chevy flexplate to the JD flywheel. There looks to be about 3-4 inches to make up between the flywheel and flex plate. Depending on the bell/flywheel configuration, I may have to cut a access port in the bell to get to the flex plate bolts.

With the auto trans this is far easier. A standard will need a bell that will get the trans up close to the flywheel. I think this will mean a shorter bell, I'm not sure. Its gonna be fit, cut, refit, redo, weld, cut more, fit again, start over, trial and error thing....

Now, I have heard someone, at one time made street sweepers with JD engines and automotive 4 speeds, dont know what kind yet. I'm talkin to a few salvage yards now. We'll see what turns up.

NEWS FLASH

***I just found Phoenix Casting & Machining, Inc. www.phxgrp.com***Maybe they would have some insite for you. They have a ton of adaptor listed. Give them a call, ask for Bill. These guys just made life easy for me!

Quote Originally Posted by xjs53v12 View Post
    Now, I have heard someone, at one time made street sweepers with JD engines and automotive 4 speeds, dont know what kind yet. I'm talkin to a few salvage yards now. We'll see what turns up.

Elgin "Pelican" street sweepers used a JD four cylinder and TH350 or 400 at one time. They also used a GM4 speed (NP465?). My father had the four speed model.
    2012 Chevy 2500HD ECSB, 6.0L gas, auto, 4x4, LT
    2003 F450, 7.3L PSD, 6 spd stick, 2wd, dump truck
    1983 GMC K2500 pickup - working on a Cummins 5.9L swap
    1987 GMC K3500 Dump, 6.2L diesel, TH400 auto - project plow truck

Default 1985 Chevy full size

Hey I got A 1985 Chevy Full size and i want to put a diesel back in it but i dont want to put a 6.2 back in i want a caterpiller to swap in but im not sure which one to do any one have some suggestions