I recently lost the output shaft bushing on my transfer case and lost all the fluid. When I drained the fluid I only got about 4-5 TBL spoons of oil, and some metal. I decide just to replace the Transfer case with a rebuilt one from GM. It took 5 days to get it in, $1,230.00 and I needed the truck so I was ready to install that night. When I picked it up I noticed that the rebuild had (you guessed it) an epoxy repaired rear case. It turns out that the rebuilds aren't even from GM they came from a repair shop in IL. I called both the repair shop and GM and it's considered a certified repair to fix the case with epoxy. I considered sending it back for another one but I would probably only get another epoxy fix after waiting another week.
The rebuilds do have the update kits in them but I'm not crazy about the repaired case. It's just something else to worry about. There is a 24 month waranty but it still doesn't sit well with me. I've decided to keep my old case and rebuild it myself and take the hit on the core cost.
Has anyone else noticed the epoxy repair on what's considered a rebuild?