Thread: Transmission Help

Default Transmission Help

I had my transmission rebuilt last year and I always had problems with it. The guy did a crappy job I kept going back again and again the truck would over rev, under rev, and shake. The guy I took it to said that a gas 700r4 and a Diesel 700r4 are the same are they? Im done with it I want to know if anybody out there knows a good shop in or around the Los Angeles area in California. Im not looking to break the bank but I am looking for a good rebuilt. What is the stall on the stock converter on a 700r4. My truck a 1984 6.2 Diesel Silverado. I see a stock 6.5 turbo in the very near future.

Arrow

The transmissions are the same, EXCEPT the governor and torque converter. If either of those are wrong, you will have late/early shifts. Most often, the shops try to compensate wrong parts by adjusting the TV cable (throttle valve, the cable from the IP to the tranny). This will usually spell disaster for the tranny in short order. The correct torque converter should have a stall of 12-1400 RPM, vs. 18-2000 for a gasser. If it hooks up around 1500 RPM's at moderate throttle, the TC is correct. If all the shifts are too high RPM, the governor is wrong. If all the shifts are all over the place (hard, soft, early, late, slipping), any of the above could be wrong, and the TV cable is not adjusted correctly. A wrong TC or governor is an inconvenience. A wrong TV cable adjustment will kill the tranny, regardless of whatever else is wrong.

I can't help with a local shop, sorry. We have several members in the area who may be able to help with that. Otherwise, look up a credible performance/4x4 shop. They should be able to help. As a last resort, a chain or credible transmission shop can get it back to OEM spec. (but little else). If you were about 180 miles north, I could help you with a good shop. Or, just drive up here and grab this 4L60E I have. For about the cost of a 700 rebuild, you can have it and buy a stand-alone controller.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com