Thread: Limp mode

Default Limp mode

I have an 05 lly that will go into limp mode when it’s hot out side when it’s idling, it starts smoking a lot also, only code I’ve seen is a low fuel rail pressure it’s been a while so I don’t remember the code, has a slight surge when it idles also

Arrow

Welcome to the board!

Hot in Oregon? In Late December? Just kidding...

What's been the history for this current problem? History of the fuel injectors?

The basics: Make sure there's plenty of fuel in the tank, loosen the tank filler cap, change the fuel filter, then see if the code repeats.

It doesn’t happen when it’s cold and I’m just now getting around to it, I njectors we’re done 3 or 4 years ago, fuel filter gets changed every oil change, it did it once 2 summers ago when I was moving trailers around my property in 90 degree weather, and this summer it did it more often, sitting in traffic or anywhere when it was hot, I wondered if it was the fuel pressure relief valve letting to much pressure bypass or the fuel pressure regulator?

P0087?
    https://www.thedieselpageforums.com/...ad.php?t=35292

Plenty to read in that thread if that's the code you're seeing.

His problem seems to be when he’s driving, I have never had an issue while drive or towing in 100* weather over mountain passes the only time it happens Is idling, stop and go traffic, sitting at a red light ect

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by 00943814 View Post
    His problem seems to be when he’s driving, I have never had an issue while drive or towing in 100* weather over mountain passes the only time it happens Is idling, stop and go traffic, sitting at a red light ect
    You really need to pull all the codes. This screams of EGR and/or turbo vane servo, but these should be accompanied with related codes (not always immediately). Either suffer from excessive soot accumulation, most often caused by fuel increasing power mods, and less often in stock trim. Diagnostic of either needs a Tech II to "exercise" the servos and read their response and throws.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com