Thread: 4L80E Shifts out of Overdrive/4th Gear

Default 4L80E Shifts out of Overdrive/4th Gear

Where are my 4L80E gurus on here?? I am having an issue where my truck will accelerate just fine through the gears, shift into overdrive properly, only to kick back out of overdrive once getting up to about 50-55 MPH, then no matter what you do will not shift back into overdrive on it's own. Now, if you pull over to the side of the road, shut the engine off and power cycle the ignition, it will operate just fine again, this is an intermittent issue, it doesn't do it all the time, and when it does do it, like I said, you power cycle the ignition, it corrects itself. I have changed the fluid and filter as part of the troubleshooting process with no noted change in operation at this point, any ideas??
    MikeyG1975
    Engine Machinist/Custom Builder, Mechanic, currently Offshore Oilfield Mechanic/Machinist
    Too many projects to list...
    2012 Ram 2500 Laramie Longhorn Mega Cab, 6.7L Cummins TD, Deleted, PPEI EFI Live Programmer, Economy Tow Tune, Auto, leveled, 35's, 4" Flo-Pro Turbo Back Exhaust...
    1993 Chevy K3500 Crew Cab Long Bed Dually, 6.5 TD Auto, Turbo-Back Diamond Eye Exhaust, Heath 2.5" Crossover pipe, otherwise stock, upgrades planned...
    1994 Chevy C1500 Extended Cab Long Bed, 2 WD, 5.7 Gas-Sold
    1979 Chevy Camaro-Z28, fully restored
    1979 Chevy Camaro Rally Sport project car

Check the brake light switch.

Are you loosing the lockup, or 4th gear altogether ???

The brake light switch can affect the lockup but not the OD

If 4th gear is the culprit then it is likely the shift solenoid on the valve body that is either failing or possibly the filter screen in the solenoid is plugged up.

When was the last time the tranny was serviced
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

My Buddys son was having trouble with his gasser EL60E and it turned out to be his throttle position sensors.
    Shifting issues were his problem,but i can not tell you what exactly they were.He was looking for a replacement tranny and had his truck parked.Then he found out about the throttle position sensor issue.And the rest is history.
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews

If shutting it off and restarting it "cures" the problem than there's probably one or more codes being stored.
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

Quote Originally Posted by Robyn View Post
    Check the brake light switch.

Are you loosing the lockup, or 4th gear altogether ???

The brake light switch can affect the lockup but not the OD

If 4th gear is the culprit then it is likely the shift solenoid on the valve body that is either failing or possibly the filter screen in the solenoid is plugged up.

When was the last time the tranny was serviced
    Hello Robyn, Thanks for all the good info, I will check all that out for sure. I just serviced the trans as the first step in troubleshooting this issue, fluid really wasn't that dirty and had very little debris on the magnetic drain plug of my aftermarket pan. The thing that is throwing me off is the fact that it is not setting a check engine light, and I will have to get a scan tool to see if it has set any codes, I'll keep you posted!!
    MikeyG1975
    Engine Machinist/Custom Builder, Mechanic, currently Offshore Oilfield Mechanic/Machinist
    2012 Ram 2500 Laramie Longhorn Mega Cab, 6.7L Cummins TD, Deleted, PPEI EFI Live Programmer, Economy Tow Tune, Auto, leveled, 35's, 4" Flo-Pro Turbo Back Exhaust...
    1993 Chevy K3500 Crew Cab Long Bed Dually, 6.5 TD Auto, Turbo-Back Diamond Eye Exhaust, Heath 2.5" Crossover pipe, otherwise stock, upgrades planned...

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon6.2 View Post
    My Buddys son was having trouble with his gasser EL60E and it turned out to be his throttle position sensors.
    Shifting issues were his problem,but i can not tell you what exactly they were.He was looking for a replacement tranny and had his truck parked.Then he found out about the throttle position sensor issue.And the rest is history.
    I thought about that, I'm going to get a scan tool and see if it's throwing any codes, and with TPS sensors being cheap and plentiful, maybe I'll throw one on there and see what happens.
    MikeyG1975

Quote Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
    If shutting it off and restarting it "cures" the problem than there's probably one or more codes being stored.
    It's not showing a check engine light but I will get a scan tool and check it for sure.
    MikeyG1975

Default Slipping

Does it only slip in 4th/OD or have you tried also in 3rd gear? It seems like you would get a code 68/39. I currently have the same issue on a 98 tranny. Just too cold to get the thing out and look it over. I believe the codes will set when the rpm difference or slippage is greater than 200 rpm.
    1994 K2500 ext cab. Recently repowered with; Non-cracked 599 block, factory compression, used old DSG girdle for main caps. Factory for what remains. Changed diffs to 3.42. Fuel economy Hwy 22.5 mpg US, in town without lcokup in 2nd/3rd - 18 mpg US.
    1994 K3500 CC LB Silverado. Next project. Built for endurance, power and gearing. Plan on opened up intake and exhaust sytem, best cooling mods, 4.11 gearing 4L80E, followed by Gear Vendors OD. Need to be able to split all gears and have lockup in 2nd/3rd/4th. Tan interior cloth, Bad ass dark blue (coming) aluminum wheels and air ride (coming)

Quote Originally Posted by jggiedeman View Post
    Does it only slip in 4th/OD or have you tried also in 3rd gear? It seems like you would get a code 68/39. I currently have the same issue on a 98 tranny. Just too cold to get the thing out and look it over. I believe the codes will set when the rpm difference or slippage is greater than 200 rpm.
    Seems like it's only slipping in 4th, it actually doesn't even slip, it just kicks itself down to 3rd and stays there, after it kicks down it will not up-shift back to 4th until you power cycle the ignition.
    MikeyG1975

My '93 C2500 6.5 diesel did the exact same thing. Only has a TCM and stored no codes. It was a bad ignition switch. Badly worn and with green corrosion. The clue is shutting it off, restarting, and the trans works right again. Hope this helps.

What 56 pan said.

No codes or SES could certainly point to the switch.

Have you actually tried pulling the shift lever into 3rd when it does its thing ??

Dropping out of lockup will give the feeling that it's out of 4th gear as most of the 6.5 rigs hit lockup at 45 mph and it is a very firm shift and when the lockup is unlocked there is not much difference in feel between 3 and 4...

When it does it's thing try manually shifting to 3rd and see if the RPM go up.

If this is the case, then its the lockup and likely the stop light switch.
    (1) 1997 Astro
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

I never owned a truck with a mechanical pump an an automatic transmission, but I'm pretty sure you can check for codes by putting a jumper (paperclip) in the DTC socket. There's an article on the member's section of the web site that discusses how to do it on a 94-95 model year.

Yeah, the ignition switch... There's a separate set of contacts that powers the instruments and the trans. If you have issues with the tach as well, Bob's your uncle... You can check the voltage on the instrument fuse to see if that's what's happening.
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

92 and 93 had a tranny control module

Too bad GM did not stick with the mechanical injection...would have saved many of us a lot of excess pain and suffering. for sure...
    (1) 1997 Astro
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyg1975 View Post
    I thought about that, I'm going to get a scan tool and see if it's throwing any codes, and with TPS sensors being cheap and plentiful, maybe I'll throw one on there and see what happens.

Hi No codes were thrown on his truck...
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews

Quote Originally Posted by Robyn View Post
    92 and 93 had a tranny control module

Too bad GM did not stick with the mechanical injection...would have saved many of us a lot of excess pain and suffering. for sure...
    Total agreement with the 2nd sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by 56pan View Post
    My '93 C2500 6.5 diesel did the exact same thing. Only has a TCM and stored no codes. It was a bad ignition switch. Badly worn and with green corrosion. The clue is shutting it off, restarting, and the trans works right again. Hope this helps.

Start with this ^^^

Those trucks of that era had poor switches especially when they got some age and miles on them. The trans requires stable voltage to do its electrical pwm thing.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

Quote Originally Posted by 56pan View Post
    I appreciate everyone's input and the winner goes to 56pan and all others who suggested the ignition switch!! I finally had time to work on it today and changed out the ignition switch with a genuine ACDelco NOS part, just test drove it tonight, works like a champ!! I'm glad I asked y'all because I never would have thought that!!
    MikeyG1975

Wink

Good deal...

Glad you are all fixed.
    (1) 1997 Astro
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyg1975 View Post
    I appreciate everyone's input and the winner goes to 56pan .......
    Even a blind hog gets an acorn every now and then. Glad you're fixed.