Quote Originally Posted by Robyn View Post
I will not use the Standayne units for one reason.

Back in the hay day of the 6.5 there was pretty much ZIP ZILCH NADA help from anyone when it came to fixing the PMD failure issues.

[snip]

I will support Flight systems or DTECH on this one.

GM could have done a common rail on this engine, but went with the cheap fix.
Pretty much my analysis of the situation as well. Further, Flight Systems is just down the road from me (Lewisberry, Pennsylvania) - actually, within a stone's throw of the high school I went to - and I'll happily support a local business that I know to be a quality operation (I know a number of people that work there). I cannot say if any of them are specifically involved in the 6.5TD PMD - I'll have to ask around as I run into people.

I also found this paper prepared by DTech about the DTech/Flight Systems PMD and Stanadyne's response to them: http://pmdfailures.com/files/DTechDS...formation1.pdf

One item that I noted from that paper:
GM 6.5L engine owners should be made aware that most of the issues encountered with this application are actually caused by other sources such as: faulty ignition switches, electrical connectors, oil pressure sending units, PCM problems etc.
And DTech's response:
It is curious that now that there is a an alternative product available, Stanadyne now embraces the idea that "other sources" are the problem, yet continues to build large quantities of PMD replacement modules?
So, before replacing a PMD, should one typically go through and replace the ignition switch, OPS, etc to make sure that any such problems are resolved? I know a lot of people just keep a spare PMD and switch over to it when they experience issues - which seems to rectify the situation.