Thread: '02 2500HD tail gate won't open

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Even when they fail, it isn't critical. Once the trim/bezel is removed, the loose rod is easily accessed and pulled to release the latch. When the retainers fail and the rod falls loose, it just rests on a ledge even with the bottom of the opening.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Quote Originally Posted by DmaxMaverick View Post
    Even when they fail, it isn't critical. Once the trim/bezel is removed, the loose rod is easily accessed and pulled to release the latch. When the retainers fail and the rod falls loose, it just rests on a ledge even with the bottom of the opening.
    +1. Note that there are some square posts that insert into keyways at the bottom of the opening, and the bezel clips in from the top. So you carefully lay the bezel back from the top until the two plastic clips pop free of the opening in the tailgate. Even though trying to be very careful, I broke both of the bottom posts. I've epoxied them back on, and will at least attempt to reuse the old bezel when things go back together. I did order a new Doorman replacement bezel, though, just in case. Even for our '02, it looks like the bezel is still available from GM, but I opted to at least try the Doorman to see how well it matches. The Doorman unit was like $9, wereas the GM part was nearly $30, IIRC.

So if you opt for spare clips, throw a spare bezel into the spares pile, because you may need it. Again, I'll note that ours didn't have any two-sided foam tape, but did have a couple of foam bumpers adheared to either side of the opening in the bezel which I'm sure is for NVH control.
    Gene Beaird
    Pearland, Texas
    '02 2500HD D/A - Race Car hauler