Thread: Missing parts

Default Missing parts

I am working on a 1994 Chevy K 3500 with what is suppose to be a 6.5 diesel Turbo diesel and somebody remove that and put a 6.2 in it. What I'm trying to do is find all the parts to reconvert it back to 6.5 Turbo. Diesel, and not sure exactly what I need. Any help would be appreciated.

If there is a 6.2 in it you may not be missing anything. The 6.2 can replace the 6.5 without any real difference.
    Now if they changed it from EFI to Manual fuel injection that is a bit more complicated.
    Post some pic's for disscussion
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews

Welcome aboard!

Much depends on the model year and/or casting number of the engine block (vehicle or crate). Late 6.2 blocks are identical to early 6.5 blocks, with the only difference being the bore. The crossover casting number was 599, IIRC. Prior 6.2 castings were 660. If it has a serpentine belt system, chances are it's a late 6.2, and will be compatible with the original 1994 6.5. If this is the case, and if the engine has no problems, there may not be a reason to "reconvert" back to 1994 configuration. It is also possible a late 6.2 block (599 casting) was bored to 6.5. This would also be more complicated if the 1994 EFI system has been removed and replaced with 6.2 MFI. What fuel system is it running, does it have a 6.5 turbo, and are the accessories 1994 with a serpentine belt, or earlier? It's possible only the block was replaced.

In any case, if you're planning on keeping the rig, and restoring it to 6.5TD, I'd strongly recommend using a later Navistar cast block.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

That's just it all the Turbo parts have been removed completely. They're no longer in the truck. As far as getting more information. I don't have the vehicle here, right? Know I'm trying to do the research to find out what parts I need to put it back to the Turbocharged version. As soon as it gets here I will upload pictures and fill in details.I was just trying to get a general idea of the actual turbo system.

Start searching wrecking yards for complete take-outs, running or not. Bits and pieces will nickel and dime you to oblivion. Accessory brackets and accessories alone are killers. The fuel system will also be a complete nightmare, especially if the PCM is MIA. If you can't find a take-out, you're better off building from the bottom up with a modern engine (Optimizer, P400, etc.), and complete turbo system off Ebay, or wherever you find it, on a mechanical injection system. There are a few outlets who offer complete packages, and a few rebuilders who will source the parts for you. You're looking for dinosaur bones short of that, at this point.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

I agree with Maverick....
    If the electronic injection is missing....Good riddance to that mess....
    "If" this were my project I would scrounge up a BANKS turbo setup (Ebay or ????) and install that.

The injection pump can be cranked up (A bit more fuel) to be able to use the turbo.
    The Banks Kits were better than the GM anyway

Getting the electronic DS4 injection system back on and working is like chasing the wind.

What transmission is in the rig ????
    A stick shift makes life real easy......No computer needed.....

Get us more info and we can go from there.

The 6.2 with the Banks turbo will produce about the same power as the factory 6.5 turbo....

Unless the 6.2 in the truck is shot or otherwise ????? Adding the Banks Turbo would be my first choice.
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

I have a 94 truck i parted out, but all the fuel injection stuff is sold.
    All the turbo stuff is there.
    Where in Alaska are you?
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews