Thread: DMax and synthetic oil

I'm new to the forum here and I can't believe all the info!
    I have a question on oil.
    I have a 2003 dmax 2500hd and I have about 20,000 miles on it and I'm thinking about going with synthetic oil or semi synthetic oil on my next change. I want to maximize my motor protection as I want to keep this truck from many years and many of my trips are short and the engine does not fully warm up. What are your thoughts?
    Thanks,
    Jet
    ----------------------------<br />2003 GMC 2500HD Crew D/A 4x4<br />2001 GMC 1500 Z71 Ext Cab 5.3 4x4<br />1996 Chevrolet Silverado Ext Cab 4x4<br />1985 Sierra Classic 4x4

Kennedy Guest

I have been running Mobil Delvac 1 5w40 for quite some time now. Excellent results on my oil analysis. Amsoil 15w40 is also a good choice.

With frequent short trips, a shorter drain intervals would be advisable, or mix in a good long run in there somewhere. I'd also recommend using an oil pan heater and/or the block heater as much as practical.

Arrow

In general, there are two (or maybe three) categories of diesel pickup owners who would benefit when using a synthetic motor oil.

1- Those who tow heavy in higher ambient temperatures. Synthetic oils have a higher heat tolerance, and are more stable in higher temperatures, while maintaining viscosity. A hot engine with synthetic usually has a few more psi oil pressure.

2- Those who live in really cold climates. The cold flow capabilities of synthetic are important in zero F or below temps. If I lived in Fairbanks, AK or Yellowknife NWT, I'd run a synthetic.

3- Those who plan to own the same truck for many years (i.e. 8-10+). The superior lube qualities can extend the life of engines.

Those who trade every 2-4 years won't likely benefit from using a synthetic. But, you will be helping the next owner.... [img]smile.gif[/img]

Aside from the above, our experience indicates a lower rate of oil consumption and a reduced amount of soot getting into the oil. This is due to a better piston ring seal and less "cook-off".

We've used Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40, Shell Rotella Synthetic and Amsoil 15W-40 marine synthetic with excellent results.

MP

Wink

On my 03 I switched to Amsoil 15W40 Marine Synthetic at 10kmi. Soon as my 05 is broken in I think I'm going to use Shell Rotella T Full syn. 5W40.
    I think the lower 5 weight will not only make it better for cold weather but also provide better protection for short trips. Its also about $6.00 less a gallon. I change oil every 7500.
    2003 Chevy 2500HD LT CC/DA, LineX, AmsoilBypass & 2 Stage Air, Superplug Drain Plug, Raycor 660S Pre/OEM, Westin Nerfs.

LanduytG Guest

Its also about $6.00 less a gallon
    You must be buying the Delac at $11 a gallon, thats a real find.

Greg

Originally posted by LanduytG:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> Its also about $6.00 less a gallon
    You must be buying the Delac at $11 a gallon, thats a real find.

Greg
    </font>[/QUOTE]Greg,

He stated Rotella T Syn, not Delvac 1. The Rotella Syn is about $12 per gallon at the local Wally World.
    '02 2500HD CC SB 4X4 D/A, Kennedy headlight kit, OilGuard bypass, Nicktane fuel filt, Pred 1.04, Autometer Ultra-Lites, ARE Z-Series, DX-959, KL203, Xferflow filler kit, Kennedy twin lift pump kit, Alpine CDE-HD137BT, JL Audio C2-650X Evolution Series speakers