Thread: to 6.2, or not to 6.2

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default to 6.2, or not to 6.2

First off this is my first post here, I have been lurking a bit, my name is Hunter and I am from the heart of Washington, Ellensburg.

Okay I’ve been reading a lot, and I mean A LOT, on this topic and I am growing more conflicted and would like to weigh in on the opinions of others and get a general idea of any extras I will need to buy.

My truck is a 82 chevy k10 with a SM465 and a weather seized 350.

I love the idea of the 6.2. It has the potential for awesome mpg and diesel consistently cheaper than gas here. The engine is a drop in with some minor wiring and other plumbing. Since My truck is a 1/2 ton I won’t be towing much with it therefore don’t need a ton of power. A local junk yard has a 86 Chevy g30 van that has a 6.2 and they will sell me the engine with all accessories for $300. The catch is the yard owner thinks it has a bad motor but it has been so long he can’t remember if it was that van or the cucv van he has. I can get a rebuild kit for the engine for around $400.

Unfortunately the junkyard van is an automatic so I would have to try and track down a diesel flywheel or some sort of balancer for the engine, if I’m not wrong in my reading. I could probably work out a deal to get the hydro boost setup and some other odds and ends I’ll need to do the truck such as a radiator and some batteries.

I have also located a turbo setup, minus the intake, off of a 6.5 for $100. Not sure if that is a good deal but I have read it is a direct bolt on and gives a power and mpg boost as long as I keep the EGTs under 1100f and the boost 10psi.

I am assuming the 350 in my truck will need to be bored and need a ground up rebuild to be reliable. The truck has been sitting outside for 6 years and I tried to rock it back and forth in gear with my buddy’s truck and couldn’t get it to budge at all. That was after the cylinders were filled of marvel mystery oil for a little over a week.

All I want out of this truck is to be a reliable daily driver and to get good mileage. If I had the money and time I would do a 4bt swap. But I need this truck running before winter hits.

If I stick with the 350 Ill need to get as close to 20mpg as possible. I often drive a 400 mile round trip to the coast to visit family, 2-3 times a month. is that even a possible number to achieve without going all out ls swap? I wont be able to affor the fuel bill for the truck at 12 mpg.

What do you guys think. I need honest opinions. Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by hunters628; 09-24-2019 at 17:32.