Thread: Early '82-'84 Glow Controller question

Default Early '82-'84 Glow Controller question

I recently installed new AC 60G plugs in my '83 and, as expected, have noticed harder starts than with the old 11Gs. The stock '83 glow controller and relay have been working well and I'd rather not ditch that system yet, it hasn't given my any trouble at all. I know most folks say to add a manually controlled button to the stock '82-'84 glow system to increase glow times for 60G plugs, but is there any way to add a resistor or something in the stock system to increase glow time without having to go to a manual button or converting to the '85-newer controller?

Thanks!
    Bob

'83 K2500, 6.2L J-code, NV4500, NP208, 3.73 gears

Arrow

The temp sender/switch makes it difficult to do that on the early controller system. Best option, in my experience with either the pre or post 85 controller system is use a timed relay, powered by the accessory ignition power. Set the time for 12-15 seconds for AC60G plugs, about 8 seconds for quick heat plugs and others. This commands the timed glow cycle anytime the key is cycled on, but immediately discontinues as soon the key is turned to start (heat is already available at the plugs, and allows greater power for cranking the starter). For extreme cold starts, either extend the relay time (seasonally), or (preferred) just repeat the key cycle before starting. This is the least expensive and simplest option, and is not dependent on engine or ambient temps to operate.

You can also install a timed relay in the same manner, except engaged by the temp sender/switch. I also recommend installing a manual override (momentary) switch with any of the systems, as a fallback for any failure of the automatic controllers. A belt and suspenders, so to speak.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Thanks a lot for the info. I’ll check that out.
    Bob

'83 K2500, 6.2L J-code, NV4500, NP208, 3.73 gears