Thread: catastrophic injection pump failure

Received a message from an RV friend in Yucatan. He owns a 2001 GMC 2500HD. He relates a sudden catastrophic failure of his injection pump without any warning. Says it blew the seals out and gushed fuel all over the engine. He has limited access to the web now and has asked me to find any info on this forum about patterns of catastrophic failure. I found threads mentioning several pump problems and I think one catastrophic failure. Anyone out there have any collective information I can send him? Has there been a pattern or only isolated instances. Incidentally, it took him two weeks, $826 plus a 50% import fee to get a replacement. And has the question regarding warranty been resolved? Thanks for any information.
    2001 GMC Sierra 2500HD, Duramax/Allison<br />Towing 12Klb 32 ft New Horizon conventional TT with a Hensley hitch, Jordan Ultima 2020 and McKesh mirrors.

I was at my dealer last week and he told me about the only injector pump failure he's had. It seems it "blew up" in the customers driveway and leaked fuel all over it. He said he even got GM to pay for repaving the drive.

Yup Yup Yup
    Had same thing happen at about 10,000 mi.
    No warning what so ever, Just quit .
    Would not start again.
    Dealer replaced at no charge and no questions.
    I suspect it was load of water in tank.
    I purged tank when I received truck back and at 15,000 mi. no prob.

Be safe and have a goodn.
    Steve
    They call me tha Breeze<br />2002 2500 HD D/A 4+4 Ex Cab LS <br />Hotshot with 25\'gooseneck<br /> <a href=\"http://www.picturetrail.com/breeze534\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.picturetrail.com/breeze534</A>