Thread: Clicking noise from radio,,

Question Clicking noise from radio,,

Got a 95 Silverado with the AM FM CD and Cassette radio, it makes a clicking noise when I turn the key off. Some times it clicks a couple clicks and some times it clicks for like 5 seconds and then stops.

I am 99% sure its not from a actuator on the AC/heater. These controls all work. It will click just by turning the key to acc and back off so none of the AC/heater stuff is doing anything.

I think it has to do with the CD player but the CD player works fine. I have a short video of the noise but don't know if I can post it.

Has anyone else had this happen?
    1995 K3500 Silverado extended cab dually auto trans. Diamond Eye exhaust, KOJO chip, manual boost control, HD cooling, PMD behind bumper, modified fan clutch.

do you have any CD's loaded in that it is parking when you turn the key off?
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government."
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold

I know my girlfriend's Jeep does something with the CD player after turning the vehicle off. It's actually a minute or two later. I only heard it because I turned the car off and then waited for her to run in to a store. It sounds like it is "parking" the CD or something and makes a few clicks and whirs.
    '94 GMC 6.5TD K1500 4L80E 2-Door Yukon SLE 221K
    '93 Chevrolet 6.5TD K2500HD NV4500 Std. Cab Longbed 187K
    '85 Toyota 22R RN60 4x4 Std. Cab Shortbed 178K (Currently retired for rebuild)
    Diesel Page Member #2423

I don't have a CD in it. Could be the noise is from CD player, Hard to tell exactly where its coming from. The CD player works though.

It sounds to me like a little plastic gear skipping when I turn the key off. Everything works but its just a little annoying.
    1995 K3500 Silverado extended cab dually auto trans. Diamond Eye exhaust, KOJO chip, manual boost control, HD cooling, PMD behind bumper, modified fan clutch.

I think it's your recirc. door actuator. That actuator does not provide position feed back to the HVAC cont. panel like the other two actuators. The other two have position feedback and will run to the commanded position. The recirc. door actuator is commanded to run to the stop with a 10 second time delay by the cont. panel when you turn off the truck. I can't rmember if it's commanded to run to open or closed. Has plastic gears and they get old and brittle. Once that happens, one of the teeth will usually break off and cause it to pop over the adjacent tooth until the 10 sec. time delay runs out. On my '93 C2500 I replaced the bad one when I removed the dash to replace a leaking a/c evaporator coil. In my opinion, it's impossible to change without removing the dash. If anyone has ever replaced one with the dash installed, I'd sure like to hear how they did it. Hope this helps.

How many actuators are on a 95? I found 3, one by fan motor, one by gas pedal, and one sort of behind the radio/ash tray.

I think its the CD player making noise.

Tried to attach an image file. The recirc. actuator is item 65 and is called the "mode" actuator on the file. File only shows 2 of the actuators. I'm not going out to the garage to get my wiring diagrams, but you could look up the fuse that feeds the actuator and pull it, then start the truck, shut it down and see if the clicking is still there. If it is, it's the CD player. That picture is for my '93 and I am assuming the configuration is the same for the '95. Only assuming. Bound to be somebody on this forum that knows.

Quote Originally Posted by 56pan View Post
    Tried to attach an image file. The recirc. actuator is item 65 and is called the "mode" actuator on the file. File only shows 2 of the actuators. I'm not going out to the garage to get my wiring diagrams, but you could look up the fuse that feeds the actuator and pull it, then start the truck, shut it down and see if the clicking is still there. If it is, it's the CD player. That picture is for my '93 and I am assuming the configuration is the same for the '95. Only assuming. Bound to be somebody on this forum that knows.
    File was too big and not allowed. Maybe the dropbox link will work.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6p78xks4bp...uator.jpg?dl=0

Just curious, 94GMC 2500, if you ever got this sorted out? And what was it causing the noise?

The factory radio/cd player looses all power when the ign key is shut off.

Likely the recirc door up near the firewall on the lower side of the heater box.

As mentioned these fail and will sit and click..click...click

Turn the recirc to outside air for the winter and or inside for the hot weather (if the ac works.

UNPLUG THE LITTLE CONNECTOR ON THE SERVO AND THE NOISE WILL STOP.

The only way to fix these is is remove the dash, the HVAC BOX and then change the servo.

Terrible design burying that servo where they did...

Good luck
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY