TheDieselPage.com Forums

The Diesel Page Forums

2020 - TDP's 24th Anniversary
What's New | Feature Articles | Product Reviews | Member's Area | Free Forum Registration
Duramax 6600 Diesel Page | Advertiser's Section | Classified Ads | The Diesel Page - Publications

Go Back   TheDieselPage.com Forums > The Diesel Page Forums > 6.5L Turbo Diesel - Tech Support - Troubleshooting - Performance

6.5L Turbo Diesel - Tech Support - Troubleshooting - Performance 1992-00 6.5L Turbo Diesel - Welcome to the Internet's first discussion forum for the 6.5L diesel engine. Tips on performance, upgrades, cooling, fuel economy, troubleshooting and more.

Old 06-30-2020, 02:15 AM
Diesel Novitiate

Default 4L80e extra filtration unit?

Greetings:
Is there a recommended tranny filter mod that places a second, external filter on the frame rail on the passenger side? It looks like a regular oil filter unit, screws on to a base.

I'd like to know if I should just remove it from the system? The body of the filter is leaking and a lot of my fluid is on the ground. I can't get the filter to unscrew from the mounting base.

If I remove this filter setup I'm fairly certain I'm going to have to buy some new lines to route to the radiator cooling. What is the recommended cooling and line solution and should I get one of those in-line thermostats to regulate flow while the tranny fluid heats up? I didn't look, but is there a separate little radiator for the tranny like for the engine oil cooler?

Thanks much.

'94 Suburban 6.5L C2500, AT, 191K miles, no radio.
Was a Bio-diesel conversion, reverted by 2nd owner (Me=3rd). Came with: Facet Posi-Flo LP, K&N Air, Detroit Diesel (DD) 8.2L fuel filter base w/Napa 3122 (no water separation).
My mods: New PMD w/6' Ext & Relocation (Accurate Diesel). New DD Fuel Filtration: Baldwin FB1301 base, BF781 Filter as primary.

'91 Chevy ½ ton, 5.7L 4x4 gasser, ext cab & short bed. No mods…just replacement parts & great tires!
Old 06-30-2020, 03:51 PM
Diesel Novitiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firstoneman View Post
Greetings:
Is there a recommended tranny filter mod that places a second, external filter on the frame rail on the passenger side? It looks like a regular oil filter unit, screws on to a base.

In between the two sentences quoted above, for clarity, I should have said: Because, on my Suburban I have a filter setup like the following...

Was a Bio-diesel conversion, reverted by 2nd owner (Me=3rd). Came with: Facet Posi-Flo LP, K&N Air, Detroit Diesel (DD) 8.2L fuel filter base w/Napa 3122 (no water separation).
My mods: New PMD w/6' Ext & Relocation (Accurate Diesel). New DD Fuel Filtration: Baldwin FB1301 base, BF781 Filter as primary.

'91 Chevy ½ ton, 5.7L 4x4 gasser, ext cab & short bed. No mods…just replacement parts & great tires!
Old 06-30-2020, 04:26 PM
Administrator

It could be nearly anything. Almost any hydraulic filter assy of an adequate capacity would fit/work. What you describe would be quite common on many tractors, or commercial rigs with a hydraulic system (tilt, liftgate, agitator, elevator, etc.).

Is this filter inline with the tranny cooler lines, or does it replace the tranny cooler?
dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com
Old 07-01-2020, 09:55 PM
Diesel Novitiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DmaxMaverick View Post
It could be nearly anything. Almost any hydraulic filter assy of an adequate capacity would fit/work. What you describe would be quite common on many tractors, or commercial rigs with a hydraulic system (tilt, liftgate, agitator, elevator, etc.).

Is this filter inline with the tranny cooler lines, or does it replace the tranny cooler?

No, it does not bypass the front cooling connection. The filter base is mounted on the frame rail almost directly under the backrest part of the front passenger seat. It is connected to a line on the tranny and also to a line that comes/goes to the radiator. I don't know which direction flow is at the moment.

A question that I have is, why put another filter on when there is one in the tranny?

Thanks again.

Old 07-01-2020, 11:16 PM
Administrator

That was my main concern, whether the filter allowed for the cooling circuit or if it just filtered and sent the fluid back, uncooled. Cooling is important, more so than additional filtration.

Traditional tranny filters are little more than clod sifters, to be sure. They stop the large junk, but don't do much for actual filtering. Transmissions don't need much, so the engineers don't provide much. I'm a fan of filtering fluid, but it's a solution to a problem that never really existed, in this case. The transmissions have their failings, but this isn't a contributing factor.

Leave it, remove it. I don't think it really matters.
dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com