Thread: Smaller diesel engine, that would replace a gas inline four?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Smaller diesel engine, that would replace a gas inline four?

Hello,
    I've recently been interested in diesel engine conversions.
    My dad bought a 2004.5 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Crew with the 6.6L LLY Duramax with a Alison transmission... man it hauls. We had a trial of the Bully Dog tuner.. holy crap..

However...
    My truck has a 134 cubic inch over head valve four cylinder. It produces around 115hp at the flywheel. Its mated to a Borg Warner T-5 5 speed manual transmission, and its got a 3.73 rear end.
    Its a 1994 GMC Sonoma regular cab short box fleetside.
    I've been trying to find a suitable diesel engine to swap into my pickup. I've been looking at the Cummins 4BT briefly, but from what I can gather it is too big for my application.

I'd be looking for an engine that I can do slight work to to make it put out more power, but not a significant drop in fuel economy. Something thats got parts readily availible. A simpler engine, I guess, would be nice too, less electrical and stuff. Factory turbo would be nice. I've got a few years to work on my pickup so I'm not overly worried about time. Space might be an issue with my truck, but as it sits now, theres a big shroud on the radiator, and I eventually plan to swap in electric fans, which will clear up a good bit of space. It was sitting in an airport parking lot for a year or two before my dad talked to the owner of the building and got it for me. Got it for free. It runs good, but I'm just considering my options.

This is the best photo I have of the engine bay.

And here it is when we towed it home.

It needs body work, and I'm learning that too. Also planning on putting full airbag suspension under it, which would help with the weight of a diesel engine.
    I'm 15 years old, but please don't think of me as some young punk. I've grown up by cars and trucks all my life, and I'm taking automotive courses, and fabrication courses aswell, and I can stick weld, mig weld, oxyweld/cut and use a plasma.

I don't need air conditioning, and would like to keep a manual transmission, if that would help.

try a VW diesel engine out of a jetta.

small, great on gas, quiet, and light enough that you wouldnt need to touch the suspension. i think youll have your hands full as it is mating the engine to the transmission.

if you can handle that swap successfully, then you can think about more radical engine choices.

AKMark is offline Building another 6.2L powered vehicle

Swap an old 6.2L Chevy in there. Put it with a 700R4 auto or a SM465 manual trans. The T-5 won't hold up to any diesel no matter what. The auto will give better mpg, but the SM465 is strong. If you run the SM465 you should regear the rear end to 3.07 to give you better economy. However, with most diesels you may have a problem with the stock size rear end. Unless you stick to a lower power (6.2L would work fine for this) engine, you are gonna blow that sucker sky high. It was never intended for a hi torque motor.

Turn up the injection pump a little on a 6.2L and you should more than it's current motor ever thought was possible, be one of your cheapest options, keep the Bowtie motor under the hood, and get in the mid 20's or better for MPG.

I know they make kits to put a 350 under the hood of an S-10/S-15 and the 6.2L fits in the same place a 350 does. I know because I put one in a Suburban that had a 350.

Biggest differences;

You are gonna need a hydroboost brake system, a larger radiator, a different transmission, probably a different rear end, a stronger engine crossmember and that's just the extra stuff on top of a complete motor. On a nice note, to make a 6.2L run, you need only one switched power wire to the injection pump, and starter wiring to make it run. 700R4 is also an easy automatic to use because when you set it up correctly, you only need one wire to that as well to lock it up.

Lots of good info here, have fun with the conversion, no matter what motor you decide on.
    05 2500HD CC LB LLY, 4x4, 3.73s 235/85R16's, webasto cab heater, to keep it warm.
    03 Buick Rendezvous - When you average over 80 miles per day driving around, you need one of these.
    85 K-5, 6.2, SM465, Rockwell T221, 1 tons, 36's. More goodies to be installed as time and money allows.
    82 K20, 6.2, SM465, NP208, stock except for bed rack, snow plow, and glow plugs are on a toggle switch. It works great for plowing!
    72 Postal Jeep - Yet another project

How much is a 6.2 worth? Are they reliable?
    I could probably make a new crossmember, and rear end swap I could do that too I guess. Narrowed Ford 9" or something?
    The 6.2 is non turbo?
    I can get mounts for a 350 and I think 700R4 that will fit right in my truck.
    I'm not really sure if I want a manual trans or auto.. with a manual I'd need to hook up a clutch pedal and stuff, or would I be able to use what I got?
    Is it a computerized engine?
    Last edited by Gearstix; 06-22-2008 at 19:44.

6.2's were used from 1982 till 1993 or 94 in GM trucks and vans. They can be found used for pretty cheap. They are easy to work on. No computers required, note the 1 wire I mentioned in my post.

These engines were also used in Humvee's (H1's to the general public) for a long time. Parts are still plentiful.

I'd search craigslist or here for a good old complete truck and use as much of it as possible to build yours. It's cheaper that way than buying all the parts, unless you get some steals.

Just make sure it works good before the swap. I pulled a 6.2 out of a Burb that had been recovered from a theft almost 9 months earlier and left to rot. It ran great when I put it in my much nicer Burb body and it's 700R4 worked well too. It ran five months (many times idling for hours a day during -40's and -50's in Alaska) before I spun a bearing. Looking back, it could've been easily fixed with a new crank and bearings, but I pulled it and started to rebuild it when I came across a much nicer Body and went to that one, which ended up being a money pit.

Look around here, this site was started originally with the 6.2's in mind. LOTS OF INFO!!!

Have fun with the swap, you'll have a very unique truck by the time you get your license.
    05 2500HD CC LB LLY, 4x4, 3.73s 235/85R16's, webasto cab heater, to keep it warm.
    03 Buick Rendezvous - When you average over 80 miles per day driving around, you need one of these.
    85 K-5, 6.2, SM465, Rockwell T221, 1 tons, 36's. More goodies to be installed as time and money allows.
    82 K20, 6.2, SM465, NP208, stock except for bed rack, snow plow, and glow plugs are on a toggle switch. It works great for plowing!

Quote Originally Posted by AKMark View Post
    6.2's were used from 1982 till 1993 or 94 in GM trucks and vans. They can be found used for pretty cheap. They are easy to work on. No computers required, note the 1 wire I mentioned in my post.

These engines were also used in Humvee's (H1's to the general public) for a long time. Parts are still plentiful.

I'd search craigslist or here for a good old complete truck and use as much of it as possible to build yours. It's cheaper that way than buying all the parts, unless you get some steals.

Just make sure it works good before the swap. I pulled a 6.2 out of a Burb that had been recovered from a theft almost 9 months earlier and left to rot. It ran great when I put it in my much nicer Burb body and it's 700R4 worked well too. It ran five months (many times idling for hours a day during -40's and -50's in Alaska) before I spun a bearing. Looking back, it could've been easily fixed with a new crank and bearings, but I pulled it and started to rebuild it when I came across a much nicer Body and went to that one, which ended up being a money pit.

Look around here, this site was started originally with the 6.2's in mind. LOTS OF INFO!!!

Have fun with the swap, you'll have a very unique truck by the time you get your license.
    I'm worried about mechanical failures and stuff, and expensive repairs.
    I think I'll try to find a truck with a 6.2L... but might be hard... and might have a billion miles on it.
    I'm gunna wait though and see if we move, if we move I'll have space to pull an engine. How difficult would it be to rebuild a 6.2?
    Was there ever a factory turbo variant? Would it be worth it to turbocharge a 6.2? I don't think I would but, just curious.

Edit: I found this, but its 6 hours away and I don't have 1100 dollars right now, or I'd buy it.
    http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...QAdIdZ55641893

I'm still wondering what transmission would be easiest to adapt in. I'm thinking 4.3L V6 s10 trans (will bolt to the diesel), its just finding one is the problem...

was it the 6.2 and 6.5's that would crack heads easy ??

6.2's, but cool them properly, and that shouldn't be a problem. I've had five 6.2L blocks and only one had cracked heads and it was that way when I got it.

What size rad should I run?
    Is there a vehicle I could get said rad from? (Stock one from a 6.2 powered vehicle would be okay I assume, any other options?)

Electric fans an option?

Transmission options... manuals... Munchie SM465 was mentioned, any others? I guess I could use my existing clutch pedal and resevoir?

What would be some ways to increase a 6.2s power, besides a turbo?
    I'd have to make a custom exhaust, so I think, and intake and exhaust combo would be one way, what are some others? would like to keep decent fuel mileage..

Would I have to beef up the front crossmember? I'm guessing I'll have to brace the frame. I'm guessing I'd have to buy or make a transmission crossmember....

I'm thinking that a 6.2 stock would be a good power increase over stock, and I probably won't haul much in my truck, other than... haha.

I'll have to put a different, stronger rear end, and I think I've found a suitable swap.. 8.8 read end out of a Ford Exploder...

Anything else I'd have to upgrade?

I'd use a 6.5 turbo but fuel mileage... and my shop teacher says that the blades tend to come off the turbos or something like that..

How big is a 6.2 compared to a 350? I could make a tall cowl hood for my truck, if the engine would not fit height wise...

Default S10 4-banger gas to diesel

Converting a 1984 s10 from 4-banger gas to a 6.2L diesel engine can be done however there are a few things to consider: Added weight on front end—a 6.2L has a dry weight of 702lbs—will all suspension and steering handle it.; the added weight of the larger rad; trans and everything else to complete the project.; A rear end to handle the added torque.Will the frame handle all the weight and stress. Putting the 6.2L into that small of an area will create heating problems for an engine that likes to run on the cool side. The exhaust system is going to be a nightmare to install. And when done a truck that is not going to handle very well with a frontend that is overly heavy and no weight on the back end(makes for a fun time in the winter). One solution is to find a compatible sized diesel donner and do a swap that way. OR Use the s10 as a daily driver and look for a full size unit that is diesel all ready and build it up the way you want. A p/u or burb in the same year range will go for anywhere from 500 to 3500 depending of condition and options. I picked up (read stole) a 1985 ½ ton 4x4 with a new motor, transmission, trans-case for 2500 body in good shape—electrical left much to desire {see photo section-More toys}.
    Good luck to you and if help is required do not be afraid to ask and we will help
    1985 K1500-sold
    79 dually 4x4-soon to have modified 6.2/6.5l turbo
    1996 shortbox-extended cab 2WD 1500 6.5L

Over the weekend i just traded my 6.2 blazer for a pair of Toyota diesel pickups......waiting for the razzing.....

But the little 4 cylinder in a mini truck like the toyota is about the right size diesel you would need for your S10. And the guy i'm getting these trucks from claims an easy 35 mpg city driving with the 2wd Toyota.

Just some more to think about.....
    2011 VW Jetta TDI, pretty well loaded without leather.
    2006 GMC Sierra D-max, 4x4, 4 door, bumper, winch, Espar heater, and the HID lights are a nice touch too.....
    1986 GMC 3500, 454 on propane, 4 speed, 4x4, crew cab dually......the welding truck
    1984 Toyota 4x4 pickup, 4.3 V6, 700R4, Toyota t-case.......transforming into 4x4 cage buggy

Default Isuzu Trooper Diesel?

While the 6.2 may be the most practical & cost-effective, I recall that Isusu offered a diesel option for their Trooper. Did anyone have any experience with that rig that they would care to share?

Might be a bit smaller & lighter than a 6.2, *IF* you can find one reasonable.

Just another thought. Good luck with your project.

--
    Dave

I would ignore those guys at the S10 forum, they've made it more than obvious that they haven't a clue what they're talking about.

As I'm sure has been mentioned on this forum, the 6.2 was designed from the ground up by Detroit Diesel as a Diesel. The 6.2 (6.5) if pushed, will make about 300 horses and still be reliable. In the end they are very reliable engines, can make decent power, and are realitivly cheap and easy to maintain.

I'd say go for it and run. If you can find the room and money, maybe even through a 6.5 turbo on it. Good luck with it. I think this'll be one awesome truck.

Default 6.2-300hp

Only thing is, he is trying to keep this as low cost as possible. Building a 6.2 up to a real 300HP would be a decent investment when it was all said and done. Not to mention, by going with an engine that hot, he is going to need a stronger tranny, axle...
    1993 HD2500- 4X4, Nv4500, rc/lb, Lots of mods, killed her. Awaiting her TT rebuild!

2002 Camaro L36/M49- Killed In Action

1995 HD2500 - 4X4, NV4500 rc/lb, GL4, Turbo, exhaust

1994 HD2500- 4X4, NV4500, ec/lb

Quote Originally Posted by 6.5 Detroit Diesel View Post
    Only thing is, he is trying to keep this as low cost as possible. Building a 6.2 up to a real 300HP would be a decent investment when it was all said and done. Not to mention, by going with an engine that hot, he is going to need a stronger tranny, axle...

If you notice, I didn't suggest for him to build it up that much, but rather mentioned it to disprove all the guys on that forum he linked to that said it was a POS converted gasser that made low torque with low RPM's, no horsepower, and was gutless.

I agree with R/C on the opinion of the "information" you're getting over at the S10 forum. Anyone calling the 6.2/6.5 a "converted gasser" obviously has no experience with them.

About the only valid information over there is concerning what motives you have for doing the swap. If you're looking for fuel economy, you're likely ahead leaving it the way that it is and freshening things up a bit. Figuring the time, money, and engineering that will go into such a swap you're never going to recoup your expenses in mileage.

If you're looking for something unique and looking for a project for the sake of doing a project - by all means go for it!
    '94 GMC 6.5TD K1500 4L80E 2-Door Yukon SLE 221K
    '93 Chevrolet 6.5TD K2500HD NV4500 Std. Cab Longbed 187K
    '85 Toyota 22R RN60 4x4 Std. Cab Shortbed 178K (Currently retired for rebuild)
    Diesel Page Member #2423

Default Easy now

Quote Originally Posted by R/Cpullerdude View Post
    If you notice, I didn't suggest for him to build it up that much, but rather mentioned it to disprove all the guys on that forum he linked to that said it was a POS converted gasser that made low torque with low RPM's, no horsepower, and was gutless.
    Easy, not running you down, simply stating was he has shared with us already. No offense meant. I don't think there are any on this forum that believe in the converted gasser theory anymore
    1993 HD2500- 4X4, Nv4500, rc/lb, Lots of mods, killed her. Awaiting her TT rebuild!

2002 Camaro L36/M49- Killed In Action

1995 HD2500 - 4X4, NV4500 rc/lb, GL4, Turbo, exhaust

1994 HD2500- 4X4, NV4500, ec/lb

Smile Comparing Diesel Engine Power

I'm new to this so not sure where to ask my question. My Generator engine, a Yanmar 4ESDL which produced a continuous rating of 62 HP at 1500 RPM has died. It powered a 35KW, (43.75KVA) generator.

I have now replaced the engine with a Mitsubishi 4D56 (Non Turbo) which is said to produce 55KW (74HP) @ 4200 RPM.

How can I compare the power of both engines at 1500 RPM which is the generator's running speed? Is the 4D56 up to the task....and what HP will it produce @ 1500 RPM?

Thanks.