Thread: Perkins 6.354 Newbie Questions..aka HELP

Default Perkins 6.354 Newbie Questions..aka HELP

Howdy Folks,
    Have a line on a 6.354 naturally aspirated engine already installed in an '82 Chevy truck. It's been parked for over a decade with the radiator removed when it was parked. I use to ride in it as a kid, I'm 43 now.
    I've worked on Chevy and Ford and VW stuff since I was a kid so I know my way around a motor. This old pick with the Diesel engine is a new beast for me and have never worked on one or it ever.

My newbie questions:
    Running a stand alone diesel fuel supply to test fire the motor, what's the best way to prime it? Loosen the injector threads and watch for pressure?

The injector pump, how expensive is it to rebuild?

On these engines, are the injector pumps so simple they typically don't need attention? If yes, what are some normal issues with the pumps?

Is there a good source for rebuild starters? How much $?

Source for clutch kits? How much$?

Is there a magical mileage where these motors crap out?

Stupid question: these blocks can't be welded if cracked?

Thanks for your time. I appreciate any information I can get.

Will

To prime it I'd just cut a short piece of steel tube to go in the inlet port one the fuel filter and hook up a piece of fuel line to suck from a can. Prime the IP using the primer on the lift pump, you may have to roll the engine to get the cam in the right spot.

The injector pump is probably a Lucas, I couldn't tell you how much a rebuild costs but I can only remember seeing one rebuilt in the last 14 years.

As far as the starter, I'd take it to a shop and have it rebuilt. It'll be better than the junk from Wilson or other rebuilders.

If it uses the standard GM clutch & flywheel you won't pay much at all. If it's a custom job, watch out!

The ones I've worked on were generally in forklifts or airport ground support equipment (the 6.354 or its little brother the 4.236), and 10K hours wasn't uncommon at all. They're very strong engines, better than a Cummins IMO. They definitely don't like to be babied! But there's no way to give even an approximate lifespan.

As far as welding the block, I wouldn't take the word of anyone but an experienced welder.
    Phil

'90 Jeep Wrangler, 4.2l, AX15, Dana 30 & 35 with 3.07s (for now!) 4" Rough Country lift, 33x10.5x15 BFG KM2s

'91 F350 XLT Lariat crew cab, 2WD SRW, 7.3l IDI, ZF S5-42, 3.55 LSD.