TheDieselPage.com Forums

The Diesel Page Forums

2020 - TDP's 24th Anniversary
What's New | Feature Articles | Product Reviews | Member's Area | Free Forum Registration
Duramax 6600 Diesel Page | Advertiser's Section | Classified Ads | The Diesel Page - Publications

Go Back   TheDieselPage.com Forums > The Diesel Page Forums > 6.2L Diesel - Tech Support - Troubleshooting - Performance

6.2L Diesel - Tech Support - Troubleshooting - Performance 1982-93 6.2L Diesel - Welcome to the Internet's first discussion forum for the 6.2L engine.

Old 12-30-2015, 01:18 PM

Default 82 suburban fuel gauge shut down my truck?

Have a 1982 suburban diesel. The fuel gauge is slowly dropping down to empty, even though the tank is full. My question is, if it gets all the way down to empty, will this create a problem? I am wondering if the truck will think the tank is empty even though there is fuel, and not run. I'm ok if it just doesn't work, but I'm afraid it will shut my truck down. Please help as this is my daily driver and I can't really take it apart to figure out the fuel gauge at this time. Thanks in advance!
Old 12-31-2015, 06:46 AM
Enthusiast

An ’82 would be fully mechanical, so fuel gauge reading is in no way tied to operation. Someone wiser than me would have to tell you if a computer controlled vehicle would even be that tied into things.
Diesel Page Member #2423
Old 12-31-2015, 09:30 AM
Administrator

Arrow

Simply, your truck doesn't "think". 1982 trucks aren't "smart", but even the newer rolling supercomputers will operate normally with a failed gage or tank sender. On your truck, there's no "computer" interface between the tank and the engine/fuel systems, and the ignition switch controlled solenoid in the injection pump is the only physical device that will stop fuel flow to the pump. Once running, only that solenoid will stop it, until the fuel supply is actually interrupted (actual empty tank, leak, blockage, etc.).
dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Tags
diesel, empty, fuel, gauge, suburban