Thread: Carter P4600HP Fuel Pump

Default Carter P4600HP Fuel Pump

Has anyone ever used this pump as a lift pump?

The factory pump is rated at 5 psi, not 7. That may or may not be a wise choice, you may overload the injection pump.and we all know what they cost!
    94 Chev Blazer, 6.5TD, 3.42, 4WD,Gear drive,,Remote FSD behind drivers headlight,,Mobil 1 in difs and trans,Rotella 30W, Over a quarter of a million miles !! Member -1.94 club.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Warren96 View Post
    The factory pump is rated at 5 psi, not 7. That may or may not be a wise choice, you may overload the injection pump.and we all know what they cost!
    5 PSI may be a minimum average. The Stanadyne spec is, 4 PSI minimum (absolute), with a maximum of 12 PSI. 8-10 PSI on a new ACD pump is quite common. The pressure is measured with an otherwise healthy powertrain (no problems or leaks), and engine idling. There is no spec. for static pump pressures beyond the manufacturer.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

I just built and ready to install a new optimized .030 with gapless rings, a HX40II Turbo, Heath Tune, other related mods, stock IP. So I want it to have enough fuel. I thought I would get it running, then put a pressure gauge on it to see. Stock lift pump with about 50k miles. Seems to me that a stronger lift pump would help it run better and the IP would live longer.

The Stanadyne Injection pump needs volume, not pressure so much.

5 psi is plenty as long as there is plenty of volume.

Too much pressure can and will mess up the IP

If I remember correctly the injection pump is designed to use 40 GPH (yup 40 per hour) to feed, cool and lubricate.
    The extra fuel simply returns to the tank... Be sure your return lines are all in good shape and free flowing.
    Pressure buildup without a return will cause big issues

Good luck
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY