Thread: Max fuel economy?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Question

Hey guys I have a question. I found a short bed 1985 two wheel drive. The body is rust free with the standard oxidization on the paint causing fading. The truck is a second owner with 155k on it. The tranny is a factory rebuild with 30K on it. The truck runs but I have not driven it yet. Someone told me the 2 wheel drive short beds with the 6.2 were rare. Always been a gas man so I need some info. from the pros. I can get it for $1000.00 dollars. This seems good to me, what do you think? How much is it worth and are these good motors. What should I look out for? Any insight would be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by T-1000 View Post
    Hey guys I have a question. I found a short bed 1985 two wheel drive. The body is rust free with the standard oxidization on the paint causing fading. The truck is a second owner with 155k on it. The tranny is a factory rebuild with 30K on it. The truck runs but I have not driven it yet. Someone told me the 2 wheel drive short beds with the 6.2 were rare. Always been a gas man so I need some info. from the pros. I can get it for $1000.00 dollars. This seems good to me, what do you think? How much is it worth and are these good motors. What should I look out for? Any insight would be helpful.
    If it doesn't have rust and the body is in good condition, this is a excellent buy even if it doesn't run. The 6.2 diesel motor is excellent for what it was designed for. It was designed as a light weight diesel engine to provide excellent fuel economy. In 1982, the engine put out 130 hp and with the right setup, would return fuel economy readings of mid to upper 20's. And with the stock power output, it was reliable as well. However, trying to get more power out of the unit often is asking for trouble. At that point, the Cummins 6BT is probably better suited for making lots or power and still being reliable.
    1990 ¾ ton 4x4 Chevy Suburban
    -Cummins Diesel - 12 valve - factory rebuilt
    -6 speed bullet proof manual transmission - NV5600
    -Gear Vendors Overdrive
    -Upgraded Holset HX-35 turbo
    -NP205 iron transfer case
    -3.73 gears

1982 ½ ton Chevy Suburban
    -6.2L diesel - high nickle crack free 1982 block
    -Stans headers
    -Ported heads
    -Timing gear
    -4 speed automatic
    -3.08 gears
    -30 mpg on freeway

Thanks for the info. Going to drive it this week. I think $1000 is pretty good from what I have heard.