Thread: Detroit Diesel

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default detroit diesel

hi everyone! this is my first time on this so i dont really no how it works. i joined because i wanted to find out more info on detroit swaps into trucks. i have a 59 chevy one ton with the original napco 4x4 and i wanted to do a 4-53t swap. i was wondering where i could find a bell housing to fit a clark 5 speed? and also i need to find out where i can get a flywheel and a clutch? i wanted to locate all this kinda stuff before i started the project.

Default 5.7 diesel 350 olds engine

Hey guys & girls, I was hoping someof you here may have some experience and recomendations on this......

So I had been planning on dropping my spare Humvee 6.2 into my truck (86 GMC 3/4Ton 4x4 6.2L+th400+4:10's+AC all stock) when my orginal 6.2 siezed up. The problem is that when i dis-assembled the Humvee 6.2 to put new gaskets throughout I found spun rod bearings in #1-2 and a badly damaged crank. I just don't want to spend the money this year on a new build up.

So I have 79 2wd 1/2Ton that is very rusty with a bad th400 but a really strong Goodwrench 350DX unfortunately the milage is unknown but speedo says about 150k+ miles just have no idea when the engine was replaced during that 150k so the engine has something less than that, 75-100-125 who knows. it starts easy, runs great, gets great fuel milage.

I see the th400 bellhousings are different on the two trucks and the position of the engine mounts is different, and of course 6.2L truck is a 4x4 while the 5.7L truck is 2wd. It seems the biggest challenge is that bellhousing because of the position of the 5.7 vac pump and I'm not sure about bolt patterns matching up? (5.7 has the dip in the top of the bellhousing, th400 has the peak at the top).

Is there anyway to put the 5.7L into the 6.2L 4x4 truck with the chev th400 bellhousing? Has anyone done this before? Is there anything else to be aware of with this conversion?

This would be a short term temp setup until I rebuild the 6.2L next year sometime.

Also what about fitting a 6.5 TD into this 86 6.2L 4x4 w/AC? easy or hard?

Anything you can tell me would be great, thanks.
    Thomas Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by 59chevynapco View Post
    hi everyone! this is my first time on this so i dont really no how it works. i joined because i wanted to find out more info on detroit swaps into trucks. i have a 59 chevy one ton with the original napco 4x4 and i wanted to do a 4-53t swap. i was wondering where i could find a bell housing to fit a clark 5 speed? and also i need to find out where i can get a flywheel and a clutch? i wanted to locate all this kinda stuff before i started the project.
    Hi. Have you found an engine yet? Have you made any progress on your "project"? I did a 4-53 swap in a 64 Chevy 4X4 suburban. I used the original SM-420 trans and transfer case. I got a bellhousing and flywheel from GM but that was long ago. I think those parts are obsolete now. Does the Clarke trans take a SAE round bellhousing? I am not sure. It should be easy to hook it up anyway. Let me know if you need some help...

Default 1965 4-53 Swap

Hey Liftgate, I would love to know the part numbers and where you got everything to do the swap into your 1964 suburban. I have a 1965 Chevy Half ton 4x4 with a 4 speed that I want to do the exact same thing to. Either post on here or email me @ mitchchase350@yahoo.com if you have time. Thank you!

Hello diesellover94. Sounds like you have the same rig I started with. That should be easy work. Is your rig a P/U or suburban/carryall? Either way, the running gear, if it is stock, is easy to work with. It was for me. My running gear was stock. I added 2 leaves to each side of the leaf springs on the front. I changed the rear axle ratio to 3:07. I didn't use an auxillary trans but that would help a lot. The set up needed more gears. The shift between 2nd and 3rd was real steep. Do you have power steering? I didn't and it is hard steering at slow speeds. Engine is real heavy. I'll dig for those part numbersand get back with you. Send a pic if you can.