Thread: 2006 LBZ - Best tuner for Towing

Default 2006 LBZ - Best tuner for Towing

got a 2006 gmc LBZ and would like to get a programmer or box, had the edge on my 2003 and it was great. since they have nothing for the 2006 trucks what is better Diablo, bully dog or hyper pac? what makes the lowest egt's? but good towing power?

I tow a big 5th wheel 15000 lbs!

At this point I'd say the Diablo Predator has produced the best results for me. I am still of the opinion that the best is yet to come...
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

Default hyper pac

Thanks,
    the hyperpac site has a yap about how you can run their unit at all levels for 100% of the manufacturers towing limits where as with my edge unit I had on my 2003 I was limited to level 1. What about the diablo what is safe? level 1?
    have you heard when the edge is comming out?

Default Safe setting

I tow a 7000# travel trailer. I had the edge system on level 3 most of the time. I was careful on acceleration from a stop because the tranny pounded pretty hard from first to second if I was under hard pedal. I have now installed a hypertech on stage three. I have seen a good 2/3 mpg increase over the edge but have not towed with it yet.
    2007 GMC 2500 crew cab LBZ
    6.6L duramax
    Roof markers and XM radio
    Rhino liner
    Plat series nurf bars
    Putco bed rails
    Truxedo bed cover
    edge juice W/ monitor temp uninstalled.
    Hypertech stage 3

Quote Originally Posted by lamgar
    Thanks,
    the hyperpac site has a yap about how you can run their unit at all levels for 100% of the manufacturers towing limits where as with my edge unit I had on my 2003 I was limited to level 1. What about the diablo what is safe? level 1?
    have you heard when the edge is comming out?
    Those who claim tow safe in all levels just don't make a lot of power. I know a lot of people aren't into or don't need big power, but most other mods make more power, and have tow safe programs that are just as good or better than these units. Hypertech stands as the absolute worst performing unit that I have had on my dyno. It was so bad that I had to run it on a different truck to verify the results. It doesn't drive bad, just nothing to write home about...

The new Edge is out, and I've heard good things so far, but I like to wait a bit and make sure things pan out before actively promoting
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.

What about the banks six gun? I have it,works great while towing at #3 they recomend not going higher unless the tranny is modified.

I bought a predator and I run it on level one. It seems pretty good so far. Mileage is better when unloaded by a small amount.
    not sure if banks makes a unit for the LBZ motor yet?
    When is kennedy going to have some dyno results for the LBZ & the "chips"?
    Thanks for all the replies.

Thinking about turbo back exhaust, is there anything to worry about? I heard that there is 3 sensors in the cat, what will removing the cat do as far as causing faults?

I have done some dyno work, but have not yet posted them. Not sure if I'll post them or not yet.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner

was just curious to see what was what with the LBZ.
    can you recomend a small digital egt to use with the predator? would like something small and digital with max and alarm limits.

Was this ordered thru me? If so, just drop me an email and I'll look the dyno plots up and email them.

For the gauge, the SPA digital is what I'd suggest.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner

Sorry to bring this thread back around...just my two cents...

I have been pulling a 10,000# 5er with a Powerstroke diesel and chipped for years. I have done a number of mods and wouldn't tow without them. I have never been worried about causing any problems to my drivetrain...that is mostly something the dealer tells you to scare you and to try and void your warranty. I contacted a guy who custom burned a four position chip for me based on my truck/tranny/driving needs. It has improved my HP, torque, and mpg in all four modes. In 2011 Ford introduced its new F350 diesel...then Chevy introduced its new Duramax which had "better" numbers...so a couple of weeks later Ford "chipped" its new truck to have more HP and Torque than Chevy. It is all done via the onboard computer. If you make your truck smoother when towing it can only improve the life of it, not make it break faster. That said, if you are running drag racing settings on your chip, and hauling a big trailer, then you will break down faster most likely IMHO.

Bottom line is, it does not matter what Chip you have or don't have, how hard you punch the GO pedal will always determine how much fuel you burn. You can set your chip at any setting, but when going over a steep pass at 20 MPH you will get better mileage than going over it at 60MPH :-)
    Last edited by More Power; 11-15-2018 at 14:00.

Arrow

There are limits to how much additional power and torque any drivetrain can handle. We know that the GM Duramax powered trucks have about 75hp or a little more cushion in the Allison before slippage can occur - depending on how the truck is used.

My experience has shown that a little added power can improve fuel economy while towing, because the transmission can remain in OD more of the time, and not downshift when approaching a minor incline, like a highway overpass.

The best programming for me is the way it came from the factory. I tow heavy and it does just fine.

No programming change for me. I'm happy as is and it will stay that way.
    Ed
    KM4STL

'06 Sierra LBZ 4x4 Crew SB, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, TTT/Schefenacker Mirrors
    '98 Suburban, 245,000 - sold 7-4-06