Thread: Advice on possible 6.2 van purchase.

Default Advice on possible 6.2 van purchase.

Hello everyone. I'm considering going to look at a 1983 G20 conversion van powered by the 6.2 diesel. I am thoroughly unfamiliar with these motors, so hit google, and here I am. I'm not really concerned about how fast it is, provided it isn't dangerously slow. I have some older vehicles that are all 'slow' by modern standards. I'm more interested in reliability issues.

The van currently has around 180k. Provided it's running decently, is it a reasonable expectation that there's a decent bit of life left (obviously anything mechanical can break down at any time, just curious about a reasonable expectation). Is there anything specific I should check? How is the transmission this would be mated to?

I do work on my own vehicles to some degree. I'd say I have a basic/intermediate experience. How is working on them?

Thanks for any advice.

Welcome aboard!

Advice is the same for any 37 year old vehicle. Be there during a cold (overnight cold) start. If it starts right up with no fuss and doesn't smoke more than a second or two, it's probably golden. It's pretty much in the best shape it will ever be, unless you change that, good or bad. Listen for strange noises, like excessive knocking (a little more at cold start is normal, until the timing advance backs off when the temp comes up), squeaking, rubbing, rattling, or grinding. If it leaks now, it will leak more. If it's hard to start, it will be harder to start. If it knocks, it will knock more. If it smokes, it will smoke more. A thorough check of the cooling system is also in order. If the owner has maintenance records, all the better.

I'd be more concerned with the balance of the van, rather than just the powertrain. That's a lot of time and distance on the chassis. Expect to find it the same as you would any other truck in the same condition.

If you have basic/intermediate experience with other V-8's, you'll do fine with it. The fuel and ignition systems are different than gassers, but everything else is where it should be.

The tranny should be a TH400. No worries there, even if it's used up. They're common and affordable, and dirt tough. It's only a 3 speed with a conventional (non-locking) torque convertor with no OD, so don't expect to do 80 on the freeway without being against the governor (which the engine is fine with, as long as your ears can stand it).

That said, the GM van conversions are very nice. There's been a few in my family, 2 of them with 6.2's, and they were loved until well used up. All went more than 300K with little more than routine maintenance.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com