Thread: Drag link play leads to DOT out-of-service

Default Drag link play leads to DOT out-of-service

Kodiak was placed 'out of service' at I-94 weight station with 1/8th" play in drag link. Mobile repair service to get my driver back on the road was $500 for a $150 part, after hours.

I wasn't there, so have no idea if the part was about to fail, or if this was an overzealous inspector. He wrote us warnings on a 2006 PJ trailer that has passed two previous DOT annuals, and multiple on-the-road inspections for:

• No reflective tape between taillights (it was placed up on flip-up ramp backs at the factory, had never been flagged before)
    • LED lights "...are not reflective", ordered to "...add reflectors of same color next to all LED marker lamps."
    (Funny, the LED lamps all say 'DOT' and a number on them...) $700 later in additional wages, lost time, parts, labor, etc. we are 'back in service'.

Like we don't pay enough taxes...nothing unsafe, heavy, etc. that day, just regulation that amounts to additional taxation.
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

Well if you have time, the last week in July will be our river trip. We are taking 5 houseboats from Spring City, TN to Chattanooga. 2 nights on the water each way and 2 nights at the downtown marina in Chattanooga. We will be cruising about 7 mph, but you are welcome to join us. Ed
    Ed
    KM4STL

'06 Sierra LBZ 4x4 Crew SB, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, TTT/Schefenacker Mirrors
    '98 Suburban, 245,000 - sold 7-4-06

You gotta wonder about weigh stations. We were coming back from an event at Pikes Peak and cut down through New Mexico to I-40 and out to AZ. Coming into NM, they weighed the truck/trailer combo I was driving and I was below a certain weight by a couple hundred pounds so we didn't have to pay any additional fees. On the way out they weighed us again, and this time I was OVER by 400lbs - interesting that I somehow gained about 600lbs going through the state, even though we didn't even take on fuel! Of course the major PITA was that I was in the last truck and since we all thought our weights were fine, all the others had already exited the station and were on the road. They had to send someone back to the station with the checkbook to pay my fees.
    1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer...new 6.5 in process...diamond block, 18:1's, other goodies...

Mark,

I know a transfer driver that had one 3" rock above the rails. The senior motor cop was showing the rookie motor cop how to sight accross the rails. $350.00 and a trip on top to step one the objectional rock ....
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government."
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold

Traversing states with overdimensional loads is like a game of cat and mouse. We run 100% compliant and still there is will be something that can be found to be deficient.

At least $2000 in real fines over the last 5 years and more in lost time, premature repairs, inspection fees, etc. due to overzealous DOT enforcement nationwide. OH, MN, WA, TN being some of the toughest. Its a racket with the trailer inspection companys around here...they simply write you a work order you can't refuse - in exchange for your annual inspection sticker. A clear inspection still costs money.

In the meantime, over 600K miles accident free, speeding ticket free, cargo damage claim free. That is my measurement of personal success.

Some of this should be attributed to outcomes of DOT enforcement, but I'd run safe and keep my equipment maintained without any enforcement. Some wouldn't. The cost of keeping the roadways safe for your wife and kids, and mine...
    Last edited by Mark Rinker; 06-10-2008 at 04:45.
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

Post State by state regs(canada too)

Mark: Look into a book/web site by J.J. Keller. Covers all regs and do's and don'ts around the country
    1985 K1500-sold
    79 dually 4x4-soon to have modified 6.2/6.5l turbo
    1996 shortbox-extended cab 2WD 1500 6.5L