Thread: Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel - Regs & Discussion

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Arrow Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel - Regs & Discussion

The following links contain some excellent info concerning the ULSD (Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel) that becomes mandatory this October 15th.

Heavy-Duty Highway Diesel Program EPA document.

What is Clean Diesel Fuel? DieselForum.org document.

ULSD FAQ Clean-Diesel.org Frequently Asked Questions.
    According the Clean-Diesel.org, the mandated ULSD will receive lubricity and corrosion additives prior to its distribution and retail sale, which is said to produce fuel qualities equal to what we have available now.
    Last edited by More Power; 06-15-2006 at 21:11.

Arrow

Until the new ULSD refining and distribution have been established and all the bugs worked out, I'm recommending everyone begin using some sort of fuel treatment to counter the effects of lower lubricity.

I heard last month from a Page member in Michigan who installed a brand new DB2 fuel injection pump, filled his motorhome with ULSD, drove 150 miles, then experienced a pump seizure. Stanadyne denied the warranty, claiming a lack of lubricity....

It appears that to meet the 15 ppm sulfur requirement, some refineries are actually removing all of the sulfur (or as close to it as possible), expecting some residual contamination from the distribution system. There are fuel lubricity requirements (ISO 12156-1, -2, ASTM D-6079), which are met by adding a lubricity treatment. It requires faith, to put all your trust in the refineries....

I suspect all this will eventually be worked out. Till then, and to be cautious, we recommend ULSD fuel be treated. Many different nationally available diesel fuel treatments offer lubricity ingredients. Stanadyne (for example) reports that adding their "Performance Formula" fuel treatment at the recommended ratio will provide adequate fuel lubricity for ULSD.

If you can buy bio-diesel (even B1), that would be a solution. Bio naturally adds lubricity.

Jim

Arrow

You can also consider adding two-stroke oil. It is DESIGNED to be burned without leaving ash and fouling, and is STUFFED with lubricity additives. I use TC-W3 oil at a rate of about 1 part per thousand, or 2 ounces per 16 gallons of fuel.

Gee, I guess that is also one ounce per 8 gallons of fuel, for those who can't do mental math without a calculator.
    The Clevite Kid
    TheDieselPage Member # 6
    1984 C-10 6.5L SAA (Swanger-Avant Aspirated), Custom 700R4
    Occasional Nitrous Oxide.

Quote Originally Posted by CleviteKid

Gee, I guess that is also one ounce per 8 gallons of fuel, for those who can't do mental math without a calculator.
    Should you check that math with the good DR?
    OOps sold my "baby" - 96 K-2500 6.5TD - ~047,068mi, Isspro's Boost, Pyro, and Tranny temp; Heath Plate Remote mounted FSD; Amsoil Fluids and Air; Bilsteins, BD Down Pipe-Gutted CAT-& B-D'ized 3.5 Kennedy exhaust; '97 cooling upgrade; CAD upgrade; new IP at 34,700 under warranty; Homemade: Boost fooler, Hi/Lo idle, OPS relay, TCC Lockup ( TFT), Glow extender for AC60's, & "GMC H..'s" 6 position Shift modifier .

According to clean-diesel.org I've been using ULSD since June 1, 2006. How come non of the pumps I fill up at in California have a sticker telling me so? Or has the transition not taken place yet? Anyone in California know? I'm not concerned just curios. Thanks

Q. How will I know which pump is dispensing ULSD fuel?

A. Federal regulations require the labeling of all diesel fuel pumps to specify the type of fuel dispensed by each pump (except in California where all diesel fuel must be ULSD by June 1, 2006). Similar instrument panel and fuel inlet/fill cap labeling is being mandated for 2007 and later model year engines and vehicles that require ULSD fuel. Consumers are advised to check the pump labels and vehicle labels to ensure they are refueling with the proper diesel fuel consistent with their vehicle warranties.
    Found an answer shortly after posting:
    according to chevron.com

California

On-Highway, Off-Road, & Fixed Equipment Diesel Fuel
    Refinery < 15ppm by June 1, 2006
    Terminal < 15ppm by July 15, 2006
    Retail < 15ppm by September 1, 2006
    Intra-State Locomotive / Marine Harbor Craft Fuel < 15ppm by January 1, 2007
    I've still got a few days left.
    •1982 GMC K2500 Cummins 4bt/NV4500/NP208

Arrow

Here's the fuel pump label. Provided by JK..